Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2009 15:00

Need Battery help for my Inspiron 6000 please....

My battery died and I replaced it with another (not purchased from Dell), and it was only charging to about 20%.  Now it doesn't even show up in the Power meter as being recognized as being there.  Power options under Conrol Panel and Power meter tab indicate that "Total battery power remaining = Unknown" and the graphic display below that says #1 not present.  The vendor told me that if I went to MSCONFIG and unchecked the "isb" utility that I could then move on normally.  I cannot find an isb utility to uncheck.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2009 16:00

The battery is faulty - return it for a replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 14th, 2009 19:00

Knowing that changes things.  First thing to try would be a new adapter (Dell, not third party).  If it doesn't charge the battery - it could still be a faulty battery but it would open the prospect of a faulty system board.

4 Posts

I guess what I should ask is:  Does Dell put any sort of limitation in their laptops to prevent an after-market battery from working?  That is what they have said is the problem. 

4 Posts

Before I go to battle with them over this, can you tell me your rationale for this diagnosis?  I had one bad one already and they replaced it and now I'm experiencing this issue.  Seems like quite a coincidence that I'd get two bad ones in a row.  Thanks.

4 Posts

May 15th, 2009 13:00

I am using a relatively new DELL AC adapter, so hopefully that is not the problem, however, you didn't really address my earlier question.  Does DELL apply any limitations to laptop computers that will not allow batteries to be used if they are not DELL batteries?  Either through software or hardware blocks? Thanks.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 15th, 2009 17:00

No, but it's entirely possible a third-party battery could omit the circuit needed to be sensed by the system - it's one way cut-rate battery suppliers cut costs.

No Events found!