Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 3rd, 2012 08:00

Need Help with Boot Issues

My XPS laptop fell on the floor, now it won't boot, it freezes after showing the press F-2 for setup screen. Cursor just moves down one line and blinks. Also not recognizing DVD, so I cant boot from CD. How can I get it to boot from USB?

4.4K Posts

August 7th, 2012 03:00

Hi  Mev55,

Also try to release flea power and try F2 and F12.To release flea power,disconnect the AC adapter,remove battery,press and hold power button for 30 seconds(without the AC adapter and battery connected).

Reconnect the battery and AC adapter,than try F2 and F12.

If it still does not work,connect an external USB keyboard and check if you are able to enter BIOS or F12 screen by tapping on external keyboard.

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 09:00

Hi Mev55,

Welcome to the Community,

Are you able to enter BIOS by pressing F2? If,yes check in BIOS if the HDD is getting detected.

Also see if you can get the Diagnostics to run (Tap F12 on start up) or press and hold down Fn key,while holding it down,press power button to turn on the system.

Let me know if its letting you enter BIOS and if it lets you go to boot menu(F12 screen).

Thank You

4 Posts

August 5th, 2012 10:00

Roshan, thanks for the reply, it let me go to diagnostic but no F2 or F12. It stops after showing F2 or F12 in the upper right corner. Then the cursor moves down one line and just blinks. In diagnostic mode the (y) button isn't working..Looks like my laptop is way messed up, I can't afford to buy another. Also, it doesn't beep except when going into diagnostic mode.. I really appreciate your help..

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2012 15:00

Remove the hard drive - can you then get into BIOS setup?

4 Posts

August 6th, 2012 15:00

In summation, my laptop freezes just after the logo screen. The Dell Media Direct function works (doesn't recognize DVD) however all pictures and media work from the camera card slot in front. I'm way out of my league here, so I appreciate any suggestions anyone can give me.

4 Posts

August 11th, 2012 12:00

Roshan, you really know your stuff. The USB keyboard let me into setup, now I can wipe the hard drive etc. from the USB using a flash drive. THANKS!!

No Events found!