Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

O

39 Posts

May 28th, 2005 17:00

New Laptop - Router Question

I have a desktop from Dell that I'm using now. I decided to buy a laptop too and I received it yesterday. I also received the router and surge protector. I thought I was all ready to go but then realized I'm lost when it comes to hooking everything up.

When I spoke with the Dell saleswoman, she told me I didn't need to pay for the installation service, that it was very easy to do. I use DSL with my desktop and she told me I could hook the router into it. I could even be on my desktop and laptop at the same time, she said. Great! But now that I have all of this stuff in front of me, I'm lost.

I'm not even sure who to talk to - my ISP or Dell - when it comes to hooking it up. Before anyone asks, I did read the router instruction book. I'm stuck on Instruction #1 - It says to make sure I'm online BEFORE hooking it up. How can I do that - I'm not online with my laptop yet.

I'd appreciate some help! If it's too complicated to explain, is there somewhere on Dell.com that can explain it (preferably with pictures, LOL).

Thanks!

p.s. I bought an Inspiron 9300 Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
17 inch True Life Wide Screen UXGA for Inspiron 9300
512MB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9300
64MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300,for Inspiron 9300
80GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 9300
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo for Inspiron 9200

(I don't want to be wireless at home)

Message Edited by ohdonna on 05-28-2005 12:01 PM

3.2K Posts

May 28th, 2005 18:00

What ISP do you have?? Cable or DSL?? What is the make and model of the modem you have??

Setting it all up is very easy. Try this site and look for a forum on your ISP and then look at the FAQs for that ISP/forum.

http://www.dslreports.com

Message Edited by Ed C on 05-28-2005 03:27 PM

937 Posts

May 28th, 2005 19:00

You can be online with your desktop (either computer is ok) or you can move the cable coming from the modem to your desktop and hook it up to laptop then run the internet wizard to connect up the laptop to the internet.  Once you are connected up to the internet with either computer then you have completed step 1.

3.2K Posts

May 28th, 2005 20:00

No if you knew what you were talking about you would know you do NOT need to load ANY software and ANY PC to use ANY router. All modern day router have Web pages in them that you use to configure it to work with your modem and ISP settings. But I won't get into it with you as it would be futile.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the holiday.

3.2K Posts

Just why would he/she want to do that. The propose of a router is to have more than one PC online, share a Internet connection, at the same time and to make a LAN out of the 2 or more PCs.

Please if you are not familiar with networking PCs together and using a router to share a internet connection just keep your comments to yourself. Your suggestion doesn't help at all and can only lead to confusing the OP even more.

937 Posts

It would be nice if you knew what you were talking about.  Many router set up programs first ask you to log onto the internet as a first step before connecting up anything. The steps go on to tell you how to attach the router, then program the router, then attach the rest of the computers. The original poster was asking how to get to step 1. Read the question before you pop off.

3.2K Posts

May 28th, 2005 21:00

Well since it is the weekend I'm not sure if a Dell tech will be out until Tuesday with the holiday. If youy paid for it to be installed then let them take care of it and if you have any problem feel free to instant message me and or post back to this thread.

39 Posts

Thank you for your replies. Zarra, thank you for the description of what goes where - I get the pic now.

I have Earthlink DSL. I'm pretty sure there is software involved but not sure because I paid extra for Dell to have someone install it when I bought my desktop.

The router is a Dell Wireless 2350 Broadband Router model # WRTA-108GD

The DSL box is a Zyxel Prestige... Model 645M - UHP ADSL

Thanks again!

610 Posts

ohdonna:

Will you please post back with the following:

What is the actual brand of the router

What company is your DSL through (SBC Yahoo, etc)?

Does your DSL have it's own software installed on your desktop -

Do you have a username and password for your DSL (keep it private) just need to know if you have them.

Someone will try to walk you through this but the info above is needed first.

11.9K Posts

@ohdonna wrote:
What is clear is that **I** don't know what I'm talking about! :)

OK, I went to DSLReports.com and they sent me back to Dell because the router was bought from Dell and not Earthlink.

I think part of the problem is I don't understand what a router does. What is its purpose? I thought a router looked like a splitter. (Wrong!)

Thanks,
d

A router ROUTES TRAFFIC...

39 Posts

Hi Ed,

Noooooooo, I paid when I had DSL installed in my DESKtop... that was over a year ago.

Now I have a laptop and I'm trying to figure out how to connect the DSL and router to my laptop. I didn't pay Dell to do this.

Thanks,
d

39 Posts

What is clear is that **I** don't know what I'm talking about! :)

OK, I went to DSLReports.com and they sent me back to Dell because the router was bought from Dell and not Earthlink.

I think part of the problem is I don't understand what a router does. What is its purpose? I thought a router looked like a splitter. (Wrong!)

Thanks,
d

3.2K Posts

A router takes you internet connection and splits it so you can have more than 1 PC connected to the net at the same time, that is the simple explanation. Please post the model of router you bought from Dell and the make and model of your DSL modem. The modem is more than likely a Westell. The make and model number will be on the bottom of it. As for the router most Dell routers use a IP address of 192.168.2.1. I will attempt to walk you through the setup but first I need to know the make and model of the modem and the model number of the Dell router you bought. Without that info it's like looking for something in a dark room.

9 Posts

The basic setup is phone line from phone jack in wall to modem, modem to router, and both computers hook into the router (unless you're doing the wireless setup).

3.2K Posts

May 28th, 2005 22:00

OK I sent you a private message. If you would like PM me back with your email address and I'll try to help you get it working. If I was at your house I'd have it working in under 20 minutes and more than likely under 10.

11.9K Posts

May 28th, 2005 22:00

@ohdonna wrote:
Hi Ed,

Noooooooo, I paid when I had DSL installed in my DESKtop... that was over a year ago.

Now I have a laptop and I'm trying to figure out how to connect the DSL and router to my laptop. I didn't pay Dell to do this.

Thanks,
d

Your DSL modem is also a router.  Therefore, you do NOT need to use the routing capabilities of your new wireless router, but you do need it for a wireless signal.  Therefore, you have to read your instructions to DISABLE DHCP in your wireless router, as the address will be provided by the existing router.  You will most likely plug the wireless router into a port of the existing router, then hook your laptop to the wireless router with an ethernet cable.  Log into the wireless router, disable DHCP (or set it up as an Access Point), then setup the wireless security and you should be pretty much set.

No Events found!