Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 23rd, 2015 15:00

New XPS 15 (9530 - 512GB SSD) - does not wake up from sleep when lid opened if plugged in

Have had this laptop less than a month. Was working perfectly till yesterday. Suddenly, would not resume from sleep when the lid was opened - whether or not the power was plugged in. Long pressing the power button restarted windows but as expected an error message was in the event log "System did not shut down properly..."

Re-installed Windows 8.1 64Bit Pro from scratch - totally clean re-install. Now - goes to sleep without any problem.

However, on opening the lid only wakes up if the power plug is not plugged in.

If the power plug is plugged in the laptop does not wake up.

I am struggling explain this behavior.

It is extremely disappointing to have paid big bucks for an excellent laptop to be let down by this problem within a month. I suspect a hardware issue. But would welcome any suggestions. I am seriously considering returning this to Dell and looking elsewhere. I would think that customer support for products under warranty would be available over the weekend..but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have to wait till Monday!

All drivers are up to date and the latest BIOS updated (A07) is installed.

Many thanks.

January 24th, 2015 15:00

Update:

I now strongly suspect this is a hardware problem.

Have done a clean reinstall of windows again with no joy.

The key problem is that the system is unable to go to sleep. Hibernates just fine.

Hibernate works because data is written to disk
Hence, sleep in Hybrid Mode works as restore occurs from disk if the sleep data in RAM is or not found.

Therefore the problem seems to be power to the RAM when in sleep mode. Could only be a hardware issue.
Have raised an email support incident with Dell and asked for a full refund or dispatch of a new machine. Don't have the time to go through "futile" repairs.

Hope this helps someone else with a similar problem.

January 26th, 2015 06:00

Update

Spoke to Dell Technical Support over the phone today morning. A very helpful representative. I explained the problem and the fact that it had persisted across 2 clean re-installs with updated drivers. I was dreading him taking me through the whole diagnostics but that wasn't the case! He just asked me to re-install the graphics drivers, tweak a few power settings and then try "sleeping" again. Which failed. 

He graciously accepted that I was correct and that this does appear to be a hardware fault probably specific to my system and said that he would order a replacement. He then passed me on to his manager who apologised for any inconvenience this might have caused me. 4 hours later, I have received confirmation that the replacement order has been placed by tech support.

Well done Dell. You have a satisfied customer.

10 Posts

January 28th, 2015 23:00

Have you received a replacement machine, is the issue resolved?

January 29th, 2015 03:00

Not yet. Waiting for dispatch notification. Tech support have confirmed that they have placed the order but it can take 10-12 working days to be delivered. 

1 Message

February 2nd, 2015 15:00

Hmmm... I have a similar problem or the same, but unfortunately I live in the Netherlands and apparently they have a different standard of service here. In my case the problem started one week after I received it.

I reported the problem and I they came and just made a main board swap (with a refurbished one). It sort of works now, but I still need to hibernate instead of sleep.

February 2nd, 2015 22:00

New machine arrived and in use. Delivered 4 days after the tech support call.

Running fine. One incident when I noticed a boot rather than a wake-up. Have disabled both Intel Rapid Start and Smart Connect. Now works fine.

Haven't done a clean re-install of windows though - just removed quite a few of the programs that come installed (McAfee etc). I will end up doing one soon. Feel quite uncomfortable not knowing what and how things are installed on my computer.

Have to say that this new machine is an improvement cosmetically over the previous one. The feel of the palm rest is better - more softer and the aluminium of the lid is Matte not Gloss!

4 Posts

March 10th, 2015 16:00

i had the same experience but i chose to return it rather than get another unit. how is it working so far?

March 11th, 2015 00:00

Terrible experience. The new laptop worked for about 2 weeks and then developed exactly the same problem - Not resuming from sleep. Clean installs, driver and BIOS updates did not solve the problem! Dell technical support were very helpful but could not provide a solution so I also returned if for a full refund.

I have now bought a Macbook Pro Retina 15 instead. Running all my Windows Dev tools in a virtual machine in Parallels working well so far.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2015 00:00

***. that ***. Thanks for the reply. I think I made the right choice and I'm shipping it back tomorrow instead of asking for a replacement. 

I use a MBP for work everyday and you know at least they will work and last a good time. It's too bad because XPS 15 felt like a decent laptop.  Hopefully this will show up in search results when people look to buy XPS 15 before they fix this.

1 Message

April 4th, 2015 23:00

I've not made a big effort to research this, but I've had similar issues (and well another quirk -- the wireless card borks on sleep - I just disable/reenable it and it's fine). I don't know about the lid open, because I rarely leave it in that state, but if I close the lid, when waking from sleep it just boots (I've tried putting it to sleep before closing the lid, and that sees to help about 40% of the time) Because it's an SSD, it's not that annoying but I don't like a system that isn't completely stable.

Because of the network adapter issue, I'm wondering if there's something going on with disk sleep, and if it's an Intel software issue)? Did the tech people give you any insight? I was thinking of doing a clean install as well, but if that didn't remedy the problem, not thrilled about making that effort.

April 5th, 2015 00:00

No joy - multiple clean installs did not work. I wouldn't bother. I never had problems with the wireless card though.

Ended up sending the laptop back for a full refund.

I agree, it is either an Intel software issue or a hardware issue. I suspect the latter as it takes a few weeks to start acting up and then a clean install doesn't cure it.

Dell did not give me any answers. I did ask if they could let me know if they discovered the cause of the problem on the returned machine but they say it wasn't possible.

Having now moved to a Macbook Pro - I am glad I did.

Hope this helps.

7 Posts

April 5th, 2015 11:00

Have the same issue with my daughter's new XPS15 (9530, xmas).  Whether you shut the lid or select Sleep from Win 8.1 - the system is dead when you re-open the lid.  That is the power button is not flashing (typical sleep mode notification) and there isn't a wake up response to any key presses I can find.  So to restart you have to press Power button - which cold starts Windows.  You get the tiny message display that Windows wasn't shutdown properly (repair) before Win8 officially starts.  Just updated latest drivers and A08 bios - no change.

I will be very unhappy if this is not addressed - a small thing but ongoing annoyance that's not supposed to be there in a premium machine.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2015 07:00

Hi there,

had the same issue since buying, completely destroyed the ssd trying to fix the problems, trying to diagnose whether this was hardware or software, reinstalling windows, formatting drives... 3 days later I go into bios (A08) and change a setting "USB Wake-Up Support" or something similar to that. Change this to enabled so now when I close the lid and open it again, a press of the power button wakes it up again. I don't ever expect that opening the lid will wake it up from sleep mode however.

So a half fix to the problem I guess for me anyway because I would have to hard reset the laptop to switch on after sleep mode is initiated before.

EDIT: ALSO, keyboard and mouse inputs wake up the laptop now too, so it seems so much closer to a perfect fix. Hope it helps.

April 16th, 2015 06:00

I have the exact same issue with the new XPS15 (9530). It started after approx. 3 months of owning the machine. If it is put it to sleep, it will not wake up unless you do a hard reset. I have re-installed all software on the machine with no change in the issue.

This machine is a replacement unit from Dell as my old XPS(L502X) was faulty. It took them over 6 months and 5 motherboard replacements to admit there was an issue with the old laptop so I'm probably going to bite my lip on this one and accept I have a faulty laptop and just avoid all Dell products in future.

For those that bought this "premium" machine; good luck with Dell technical support, try not to tear all your hair out.

8 Posts

April 17th, 2015 15:00

I also had problems with the network card not hooking up to the wifi after going to sleep/hibernation (win 8.1 64bit, dell xps15 from sept 2014).

I found that quite bothersome, as I move the laptop at least daily between home and office.

I then updated the wifi drivers using the std. Intel ones (cant remember the exact version, sorry) , and with that I found a workaround: disable+reenable the card after hibernation.

I have updated once again with the latest intel drivers one week ago (Wireless_17.13.11_s64.exe), and so far it seems that the problem might be fixed.

Otoh I do have occasional bsods when coming back from sleep with a 'hdd not found' message. Not sure if it is driver, firmware or hw related - a colleague of mine with the same laptop said he never has got the problem... I found online a fw update which should apply to the PM851 hdd (http://www.dell.com/support/home/al/en/aldhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0NXHH) but did not apply it yet as it seems to need a full disk reformat

No Events found!