Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 7th, 2012 15:00

Question About New Dell Inspirion 17R Laptop

Hey,

Here is the following modeling I am interested in: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-17r-se-7720/pd

I just want to know if it's possible to upgrade this laptop to a SSD HDD (outside of Dells service since there is no upgrade offered) as well as 16 GB of RAM.

Thanks.

July 7th, 2012 15:00

Hi NJ21,

Welcome to the community.

Well, Inspiron 17R supports the combination of mSATA Solid State Drives with a SATA Hard Drive which enables the use of several technologies found in Intel® Rapid Storage Technology. So you can definitely customize the laptop accordingly. The Inspiron17R is shipped with mSATA solid-state drive. mSATA drive occupies very less space and is best suited for netbooks and notebooks with thin-chassis. Inspiron 17R is shipped with mSATA drives with capacity of 32 GB.

Regarding the memory upgrade, the system can have a maximum of 8 GB RAM. There are 2 slots on the motherboard where you can install the chips and each slot can have a Max of 4 GB each.

Let me know in case there are any other concerns. Glad to be of assistance.

DELL-Chiranjeev S

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 7th, 2012 16:00

It will take 16 G of RAM, but if it's anything like its predecessors in the INspiron series, replacing the hard drive is far from a trivial exercise - in what seems to be a design theme torn from Apple's pages, the system must be almost completely dismantled to get to the hard drive with many current Inspiron models.  If upgradeability is your goal, go with the XPS series - not the INspirons.

1 Message

July 9th, 2012 06:00

Just wondering how can i enable raid in dell inspiron 17se 7720? or it does not support raid at all?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 9th, 2012 07:00

RAID is not supported.

14 Posts

July 20th, 2012 09:00

I believe I found somewhere else that RAID is supported. I will try to find it and report back. I actually will be attempting to do that very thing next week when my 17R SE is delivered.

14 Posts

July 20th, 2012 09:00

And from the manuals, looks like Memory and Disk changes are much easier in the 17R SE than the XPS series. It also will take 16GB, or at least it's been reported that 16GB Ram works. I will try that in 2-3 weeks, and let everyone know for sure.

18 Posts

July 20th, 2012 19:00

I heard that Dell has officially limited the RAM to 8GB, The fact is that the Win7 Home Premium only support up to 8GB. I have not tested my 17R SE since it has a Win7 Pro. My experience is that it is possible but do not take my words. However, 8GB is more than enough.

I upgraded mine to SSD. It has improved the performance tremendously. However, you have to be aware that the SECONDARY HDD does not come with any HDD Bracket so you can't install any HDD on the secondary HDD bay. At least, no ones can find this bracket on the market except Dell has it but they don't release it for sales for marketing reasons (guessing is to force customers to purchase those with dual HDDs machines).

My suggestion is to press DELL sales to confirm that the machine does have two HDD brackets before placing your order (in written document). I learned from my lesson. I called them and they said they would include the HDD bracket but end-up in other story.

Some machines come with it but some don't. Many users feel quite unhappy about it.

14 Posts

July 20th, 2012 20:00

Windows Home 7 Premium memory limit is 16GB not 8GB.

msdn.microsoft.com/.../aa366778%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

I understand being upset if the 17R SE doesn't come with a bracket. I'll know on Wednesday and will pass my info on at that point.

14 Posts

July 25th, 2012 20:00

Same with me. Bracket was there, no screws, which sort of makes sense since there was no way to attach the screws without a drive.

July 25th, 2012 20:00

My Inspiron 17R SE came with one HDD installed but DID have a hard drive bracket for a second HDD. The only thing it did not come with were the screws for a second HDD. So, the bracket is there, just no screws.

16 Posts

August 13th, 2012 13:00

Hey.

I have this model and I have put a 120 GB SSD HDD without problems.

From memory, I have not changed.

If possible, write in Spanish because I am using a translator ... :emotion-5:

Thank you.

16 Posts

August 13th, 2012 13:00

Dell has sent me to my house on the second HDD Bracket for the price of 1€ and a local computer store, I have the 8 screws (4 for HDD and 4 for the Bracket ).

Greetings ...

[I am using a translator].

No Events found!