Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

June 23rd, 2016 08:00

Screen flicker on external monitor - Dell XPS 13 9350 QHD display

When I connect my Dell XPS 13 9350 laptop with QHD display to an external monitor through the DA200 USB-C to HDMI connector the external monitors flicker constantly (laptop is fine-no flickering). Sometimes it works for like an hour then starts to flicker or longer so its not consistent. Below are the troubleshooting steps Dell has walked me through (including sending me a new DA200 part) to no avail:

- Dell has sent me a new DA200 USB C to HDMI part

- They have upgraded the Thunderbolt drivers and all other relevant drivers to latest ones (as of June 15 2016)

- I have tried on different monitors (5-6) and tried different HDMI cables.

Dell doesnt seem to know what to do now. THey have refunded my DA200 part purchase and told me to buy a separate HDMI to USB-C cable to test. If that fails it seems they will replace the motherboard. They say it could be an issue with the external monitors not being compatible with QHD, but this is not documented anywhere (they admit) and I havent heard anyone else having this problem on the internet and surprised every single person using this setup has QHD external monitors. This is an unworkable situation for me as I work in PC labs all day connected to external monitors.

Any advice? 

18 Posts

June 24th, 2016 15:00

Hi RRADHAY,

Please see the answer I gave Derek. It may also work with you. I hope it works for you.

en.community.dell.com/.../19983555

Cheers,

acvyse

January 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi there. I am also a buyer of a brand new XPS 13, replacing my old Toshiba Portege. My external monitor for daily use is an old Samsung  BX 2250. I am using a generic usb to display port adapter.

Right from day one, after some time of use (I use the external monitor as main display, and the laptop as second, on Windows 10), the external monitor seems to loose sync so all windows jump to the laptop, then after a second or two it all goes back to normal.

On another occasions, the external monitor just loose signal and I end blind of main monitor. I have to unplug the hdmi from the adapter, and sometimes everything goes back, and sometimes I have to restart the laptop.

I am running all kind of tests, but nothing seems to solve it.

Does anyone know if this problem occurs also with an external QHD monitor?

March 2nd, 2017 12:00

I've got a brand new XPS 13 with exactly the same issue. I've tried different hdmi cables and different monitors without any improvement.

Check the answer posted by acvyse on 24-Jun-2016, above. Adjusting some of the wifi/bluetooth adapter settings got things working for me. (At least during the past 4+ hours I have had any further issues.)

No Events found!