Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2013 22:00

Start pxe over ipv4

So i start up my dell today.  Worked fine lastnight, no issues.  At the dell screen(just the dell name, black screen) i see this pop up.  "Start pxe over ipv4" so i wrote that down.  Then i get pxe-e18:server response time out.  Great i think to myself.  Next is :Start pxe over ipv6.  After a bit i see Pxe-e16:no offer received.  So my question is, what the heck is going on?

I just got this laptop in december, and im already having some sort of issue?

Laptop is an inspiron 3520 running windows 8.  Would like to know what this thing means, online searching hasnt helped.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 14th, 2013 04:00

Does the system BIOS recognize the hard drive (F2 at powerup)?  If so, is the hard drive listed before the network boot (PXE) in the boot sequence?

6 Posts

February 14th, 2013 09:00

*Edit, both "family control" should be "family controller".

6 Posts

It does recognize the hard drive.  The boot options says

1.UEIF IP4 realtek pcie FE family control

2.UEIF IP6 realtek pcie FE family control

3. OS

4. Boot Manager.

If that is not what you were talkin about then i dunno.  This is what was listed in the BIOS under the BOOT tab.

6 Posts

Any idea what changed this?  Like i said it was fine one morning then that night the  "Start pxe over ipv4" thing happened.  What id like to know is what caused it.  All i installed was a game, the was the only change and bam, weird stuff going on.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Assuming what you want to do is boot from the hard drive, "OS" needs to be listed before the two Ethernet controllers.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 14th, 2013 10:00

Unknown.  If the system has UEFI, that's a work in progress - as are GPT drives.

3 Posts

April 29th, 2013 06:00

I have had this message several times in the past two days. Same PC, Dell Inspiron 3520, also bought in December 2012. It runs fine, and I have had no other issues with it. I was able to manually turn it off and turn it back on each time and after one or two tries it (slowly) loaded normally. I thought maybe it had to do with having an ethernet cable plugged in before start up, as that is the only change from usual, and by taking out the cable and restarting it worked. But that seemed like a bizarre reason, so I found this forum by looking up the same "Start PXE over IPv4". Did you figure out a resolution to this? I am not PC-savvy at all, so I read the replies but could not understand the rest of the thread :/ I hoped maybe you could let me know how things worked out with yours. Thanks!

6 Posts

April 29th, 2013 21:00

What it was doing for me kendrams, is trying to boot out of sequence.  My boot menu looked like this

1.UEIF IP4 realtek pcie FE family control

2.UEIF IP6 realtek pcie FE family control

3. OS

4. Boot Manager.

OS should be number one.  Now i never tried unplugging my net cable to see if that changed anything, since i never used wireless, i started with a cable.  What i did was go into the boot menu(f2 at startup) and just changed OS to #1 and it starts up like it used to.  Nobody was ever able to tell me why it switched things, but it hasnt since i changed it back and the laptop has been running top notch.  Hope that helps you, i know how frustrating this can be.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2013 04:00

Thank you!

1 Message

May 6th, 2013 16:00

This Step is a sureshot Solution . 

Update BIOS. 

Reboot  the computer tapp F2 to go to Bios. and use the left and right arrow keys. to hightlight BIOS tab on top . 

Set Boot priority. 

1. UEFi OS ( Incase oF win8)

2. Windows Boot manager

Press  f10 to save changes and exit. 

try. 

3 Posts

May 7th, 2013 05:00

What if you don't get any response when you hit F2 so can't get to BIOS?

1 Message

May 11th, 2013 12:00

I have the same exact problem, I also have an inspiron 3520 running Windows 8, ( I HATE WINDOWS 8!!). How do I correct this problem, or is this something endemic to this system. would installing windows 7 or XP be a solution?? Please, any knowledge would be gratefully accepted.

1 Message

May 12th, 2013 15:00

So i start up my dell today.  Worked fine lastnight, no issues.  At the dell screen(just the dell name, black screen) i see this pop up.  "Start pxe over ipv4" so i wrote that down.  Then i get pxe-e18:server response time out.  Great i think to myself.  Next is :Start pxe over ipv6.  After a bit i see Pxe-e16:no offer received.  So my question is, what the heck is going on?

I just got this laptop in december, and im already having some sort of issue?

Laptop is an inspiron 3520 running windows 8.  Would like to know what this thing means, online searching hasnt helped.

1 Message

May 20th, 2013 13:00

So it looks like I'm not the only one with this same problem...

I have a Dell Model Inspiron (15) 3520. It was working fine, and I received notice (when I shut down several nights ago) there were some updates, so I clicked 'install and shutdown'. The next morning is when I started getting this black screen and FXE messages every time I turn on/boot my laptop instead of immediately going to the start page of windows 8: My screen is black with the Dell logo. Then a message to the left of the logo says 'Start PXE over IPv4'. after a good while it then says 'FXE-E18 Server Response Timeout'. Then after another while, it says 'Start PXE over IPv6'. then after another minute or more wait it says, 'FXE-E16 no offer received', and the little spinning balls start spinning and the start page finally shows up? What is this delay in 'connection (it's probably a good 3 minutes, maybe more)? What does this mean?  

I guess I am happy to see other folk have had this problem by checking this support page...unfortunately I bought this laptop in Mexico and it is running a Windows 8 single language (spanish) OS...  

4 Posts

May 30th, 2013 07:00

Seems like the system is trying to boot from the network card.

You will have to change the boot priority  in BIOS.

You can enter BIOS by tapping F2 while starting the system. Once you are in BIOS you will have to get into the BOOT tab.

Under UEFI BOOT you will find Windows boot manager. Highlight it and press the + key till Windows Boot manager reaches the top of the list.

Press F10 key to save and exit.

This should resolve the issue.

No Events found!