Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

6 Posts

September 15th, 2008 13:00

Studio 1735: Bass/Treble settings, where?

Vista doesn't seem to have a built-in equilizer and neither does the bad IDT sound utility. How can I lower bass-levels?

1.8K Posts

September 16th, 2008 19:00

Any decent media player you use for playback should have an equalizer built into it.  WMP 11 certainly does.

13 Posts

September 17th, 2008 00:00

If you go into Control Panel, make sure you click "Classic View".

Then you should see an icon with a big music note named "IDT Audio Control Panel".

Open that.

You'll see in the upper left a "Speakers Headphones" link.

Click that. Then the sub category "Equalization".

You can select some presets.
I usually listen to music while setting these to hear which sounds better.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2008 05:00

Hi, I'm using VLC and Mediaplayer Classic Homecinema Edition. Both of them don't seem to have a simple equalizer, although they have a zillion settings :)

IDT has an equalizer with presets, but unfortunately it isn't possible to just lower the bass.

I have a LG homecinemaset which doesn't have a bass/treble-settings (incredible) and the bass is sometimes too strong and I just want to lower the bass. A simple equalizer would allow me to just lower the bass without adjusting the other levels. But Vista doesn't seem to have one :(

1.8K Posts

September 17th, 2008 15:00

In VLC, go to Settings->Extended GUI.  Then switch to the Equalizer tab in the GUI that opens up, enable the equalizer and adjust to your heart's content.

6 Posts

September 17th, 2008 16:00

aaargh, I can't believe I missed that! I thought I had looked at ALL options! Thanks man! :)

1.8K Posts

September 17th, 2008 16:00

You are welcome.:smileyhappy:

September 17th, 2008 21:00

Balaji 

I bought a STUDIO 1535 a wk ago and it seems to have a very low audio volume irrespective of what I play. I tried to look thro' the settings on the so called 'mixer' for the volume and also the driver equalizier controls. I am telling this in comparison with a THINKPAD that I have which is old in terms of hardware and configuration but still gives me very very good audio output .....

am I missing something vital in terms of setting here ...?

bhargav.

1.8K Posts

September 18th, 2008 13:00

I have no direct experience with Studio laptops, so please take what I write with a healthy dose of salt.  What I have found is that newer laptops seem to have much weaker speakers than older laptops used to.  I have a 2 year old Acer that you can barely hear even at full volume while my 5-year old Toshiba can rock the whole house.  I think it is part of a cost-cutting trend where internal speakers are made cheaper and cheaper until people get sick of them, then the manufacturers can get rid of them entirely and claim that the public never liked them anyways, so they are just doing us a favor by getting rid of them.  I may be cynical, but I think manufacturers expect us to use the audio on their newer laptops with headphones rather than directly through the built-in speakers.

6 Posts

September 19th, 2008 12:00

I totally agree. The new speakers on the STudio Line are shamefully bad! Especially compared to the ones on my Inspiron 9300!

And the most absurd thing is that they tout this laptops as 'Multimedia laptops'!

13 Posts

September 19th, 2008 12:00

I totally agree and I believe many do as well. I have a D810 I use from work and the external speakers on the sides are the same size as my 1735 but put out twice the volume and sound quality.

That includes base and mid-tones.

My 1735 external speakers are worthless. Luckly I never really use them. I put on headphones to listen to movies, music, etc.
So what is the difference? Dell could have EASILY continued using the same speakers that are in the D810. They are the same size and location as the ones on my 1735.
Cost cutting? What? It's not good, and I'm frustrated.
I should get a free pair of USB speakers from Dell since I have to put up with this "rubbish".

3 Posts

July 1st, 2009 09:00

I'm writting this in july 2009 when i bought my first Studio 1537, also i have the same problem! The speakers are awfull.. they have a humming sound and some crackles when the music hits some notes.. (believe hi notes).. So, shame on DELL for delivering  such speakers..

No Events found!