Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

3 Posts

September 5th, 2002 20:00

The bottom of my laptop is very hot!!!!

I've had my Inspiron 4150 for about two weeks now. I tend to leave it powered on all of the time except when traveling. I just slid the machine to the right on my desk to make some room for some papers. I put my hand on the desk where the laptop just was and it was very, very hot. I tilted the laptop up and felt the bottom. It also is very, very hot. I can't keep my fingers in contact with the bottom of the computer for more than about 10 seconds before it gets too hot to the touch. If I put my ear close to the keyboard I can hear the fan running. The desk is your typical computer room desk, wood core with a plastic faux wood veneer. Is this normal?

11.9K Posts

September 6th, 2002 13:00

It's a heat source for the winter. Put it on your lap and you can lower the house thermostat.

If you read your documentation, Dell warns that if you put it on your lap you may get burned.

In a power outage, run it on battery power, flip it over, and you can use it as a cooking surface...

Rick

SOLUTIONS

To select the correct Crucial memory for your computer, try the Crucial Memory Configurator

Get your order status - 1-800-433-9014

Clean your screen - turn off your PC. Use a damp soft cloth. Wipe screen carefully, then buff dry with another soft cloth. Then wipe your keyboard and pointer area, avoiding the pointer tip.

Don't upgrade your Norton Antivirus! Buy it new or SystemWorks or Internet Security (each of which contain Antivirus), and take advantage of their FREE after rebate promos that run all the time - just keep your eyes open. When the new Quicken comes out Antivirus will be free, also when TurboTax comes out. Lots of chances to not spend money to upgrade!

Why can't I track my UPS package? Per Dell-Chandler - The packages are picked up from Dell by UPSLG, which is owned by UPS. UPSLG doesn't scan the packages. They deliver the packages to UPS' regional hubs where they then will receive the initial scan. During the time from when they are picked up from Dell to the time they are scanned at the UPS regional hub, they are not able to be tracked. As soon as they reach the UPS regional hub they will be scanned in to UPS' system, which, depending on where you live, could take as long as 3 days..

APX Tracking Click here ,then click on USPS tracking code at the top.

In Production means that Dell expects to the parts in house in time to make the ship date that they have given you. It does NOT mean that all the parts are in the factory and that your machine is almost ready.

Testing on a laptop means that your machine is enjoying cocktails on the airplane coming over from Malaysia... It will ship soon.

Networking difficulties with XP? XP to non-XP machines?
Read this

CONFIGURATIONS

Dell I8100 512MB RAM, 40GB IBM GNX (on order), 20GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS B600R 384MB RAM, 30GB Quantum Fireball Plus and 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS D333 256MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor D740X with Maxtor 133 card and 8.5GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Standard.

100 mbps network with Comcast High Speed cable modem. 2 HP Laserjet 4L printers, 2 HP Inkjet printers, scanner.

33 Posts

September 6th, 2002 17:00

i found out the hard way however.. you need a 2nd battery for a Roast.

I8200 A06 bios
1.6 GHZ Mobile Intel CPU
15" UXGA
512MB DDR (2 X 256MB Crucial)
Primary HDD - IBM 40GNX IC25N040ATCS05
Secondary (module bay) IBM 30GN
GeForce4 440 Go 64mb
8X DVD
module bay Floppy
module bay 2nd Lithium-Ion 66whr battery
Toshiba ($20 Team Excess) Mini-PCI 802.11b (lucent chip btw)
Dlink dwl650 Wireless 802.11B (for beyond the house)
Burlwood Palmrests
Logitec USB iFeel Mouseman optical
Coolpad (www.roadtools.com)($19.99 Staples)
Microsoft DSS80 USB Speakers (Work VERY well)

3Dmark2001 - 5083, everything default, nVidia v. 40.41

105 Posts

September 8th, 2002 03:00

Comes in very handy when your lighter goes out and you still have some smokes left also

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2002 07:00

well I bought a cool pad at staples for 19.95 and this product is awesome. It's a lazy susan and it really cools your laptop down, also get the fan gui.

Inspiron 8200
Bios version A6
2000 Mhz (Intel® Pentium® 4-M Processor)
15." US XGA+TFT Display (no bad pixels)
1024 Mb memory (dell 2 stick)
1 Batteries
Internal Zip Drive (never use)
Actiontec 56K (V.92) + 10/100 Ethernet
40GB 5400rpm HDD & 32GB 5400rpm HDD
NVidia GeForce4 Go w/ 64MB DDR
DVD/CDRW Combo (Fixed)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro
Cannon BJ55, USB

1 Message

September 8th, 2002 16:00

Hahaha, very funny! Thank you for those nice jokes.

But I have the same problem with my I8200 and I wonder wether this is still normal or wether I should contact Dell for a repair. If I use my notebook for a long time the bottom heats up to about 50-60°C, so that you can hardly touch it any more. The Fans are running from time to time, but I don't know wether they are effective.

I also tried to install some shareware tools to get the Processor temprature, but somehow that didn't work. Has anyone a special tip for that kind of a program? The heat sensors are probably running, at least the Dell test cd reports so.

I would be thankfull fo every serious comment on that.

Florian

4.4K Posts

September 8th, 2002 20:00

I was not joking about the cool pad dude.

Inspiron 8200
Bios version A6
2000 Mhz (Intel® Pentium® 4-M Processor)
15." US XGA+TFT Display (no bad pixels)
1024 Mb memory (dell 2 stick)
1 Batteries
Internal Zip Drive (never use)
Actiontec 56K (V.92) + 10/100 Ethernet
40GB 5400rpm HDD & 32GB 5400rpm HDD
NVidia GeForce4 Go w/ 64MB DDR
DVD/CDRW Combo (Fixed)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Pro
Cannon BJ55, USB

11.9K Posts

September 8th, 2002 23:00

And I wasn't joking about the burn warning. On page 8 of my I8100 Solutions Guide, it says "Do not allow your portable computer to operate with the base resting directly on exposed skin, for example, legs (gee, what would it be besides legs), for an extended period of time. ... Allowing sustained contact with the skin could cause discomfort or, eventually, a burn.

I was joking about the cooking in a power failure. Everyone knows that a portable gas grill works much better than a laptop - since there are no flames on a laptop...

Rick

SOLUTIONS

To select the correct Crucial memory for your computer, try the Crucial Memory Configurator

Get your order status - 1-800-433-9014

Clean your screen - turn off your PC. Use a damp soft cloth. Wipe screen carefully, then buff dry with another soft cloth. Then wipe your keyboard and pointer area, avoiding the pointer tip.

Don't upgrade your Norton Antivirus! Buy it new or SystemWorks or Internet Security (each of which contain Antivirus), and take advantage of their FREE after rebate promos that run all the time - just keep your eyes open. When the new Quicken comes out Antivirus will be free, also when TurboTax comes out. Lots of chances to not spend money to upgrade!

Why can't I track my UPS package? Per Dell-Chandler - The packages are picked up from Dell by UPSLG, which is owned by UPS. UPSLG doesn't scan the packages. They deliver the packages to UPS' regional hubs where they then will receive the initial scan. During the time from when they are picked up from Dell to the time they are scanned at the UPS regional hub, they are not able to be tracked. As soon as they reach the UPS regional hub they will be scanned in to UPS' system, which, depending on where you live, could take as long as 3 days..

APX Tracking Click here ,then click on USPS tracking code at the top. Call APX at (866) 744-7979.

In Production means that Dell expects to the parts in house in time to make the ship date that they have given you. It does NOT mean that all the parts are in the factory and that your machine is almost ready.

Testing on a laptop means that your machine is enjoying cocktails on the airplane coming over from Malaysia... It will ship soon.

Networking difficulties with XP? XP to non-XP machines?
Read this

CONFIGURATIONS

Dell I8100 512MB RAM, 40GB IBM GNX (on order), 20GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS B600R 384MB RAM, 30GB Quantum Fireball Plus and 40GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HD, Windows XP, Office XP Professional Special Edition.

Dell XPS D333 256MB RAM, 80GB Maxtor D740X with Maxtor 133 card and 8.5GB HD, Windows XP, Office XP Standard.

100 mbps network with Comcast High Speed cable modem. 2 HP Laserjet 4L printers, 2 HP Inkjet printers, scanner.

2 Posts

September 9th, 2002 00:00

Well, it depends about the flames...
If you have a cheap lamenated desk I image that it might catch fire at that degree, lol

33 Posts

September 9th, 2002 02:00

The coolpad works very nice and fangui can let you run your fans as needed. Nice combo in deed..

I8200 A06 bios
1.6 GHZ Mobile Intel CPU
15" UXGA
512MB DDR (2 X 256MB Crucial)
Primary HDD - IBM 40GNX IC25N040ATCS05
Secondary (module bay) IBM 30GN
GeForce4 440 Go 64mb
8X DVD
module bay Floppy
module bay 2nd Lithium-Ion 66whr battery
Toshiba ($20 Team Excess) Mini-PCI 802.11b (lucent chip btw)
Dlink dwl650 Wireless 802.11B (for beyond the house)
Burlwood Palmrests
Logitec USB iFeel Mouseman optical
Coolpad (www.roadtools.com)($19.99 Staples)
Microsoft DSS80 USB Speakers (Work VERY well)

3Dmark2001 - 5083, everything default, nVidia v. 40.41

105 Posts

September 9th, 2002 05:00

FYI if its was running hoter than it was supose to you would experance random shutdowns and nopost till it cools. If its not shutting down on you on its own its runnign within specs.

2 Posts

September 9th, 2002 09:00

good point

1 Message

September 13th, 2002 05:00

What operating System are you running? Does it support advances power management and is it enabled? Is the speed step in the bios enabled?
Perhaps you have some software running preventing the system doozing, such as MS Access. To check this have a look at the performance monitor if the cpu is idle if you are not working. It also may be a OpenGL screen saver consuming a lot of cpu power.
Let the system go standby after a couple of minutes, let the harddisk spindown and also let the LCD turning off.

Does your battery also become hot if the system is turned off or in hipernation/stantby mode with pluged in charger and the battery is fully charged? Check the charge status with the built in indicator in the battery.

if so, maybe your battery or charger has to be changed. It also can be a BIOS problem containing battery charging routines. Check also for BIOS updates.

Henry

rkostes wrote:
- I've had my Inspiron 4150 for about two weeks now.
- I tend to leave it powered on all of the time except
- when traveling. I just slid the machine to the
- right on my desk to make some room for some papers.
- I put my hand on the desk where the laptop just was
- and it was very, very hot. I tilted the laptop up
- and felt the bottom. It also is very, very hot. I
- can't keep my fingers in contact with the bottom of
- the computer for more than about 10 seconds before
- it gets too hot to the touch. If I put my ear close
- to the keyboard I can hear the fan running. The
- desk is your typical computer room desk, wood core
- with a plastic faux wood veneer. Is this normal?
-
-

3 Posts

September 13th, 2002 13:00

I'm running XP. I have been checking more regularly and have noticed that if I don't use the machine for a while it cools down. It is when I am using it that it gets very hot. Perhaps I should close the lid when I walk away as well. Or shut off my screen saver.

I've also noticed that something on my machine is bringing up my network connection when I am away. The mngt interface on my ISDN router tells me which IP address brought up the link and it is always my new laptop. Does XP have some background software that is periodically checking for updates.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2002 23:00

The Road Tools cool pad is awesome! Protects your desk and helps keep your notebook cool. buy one.

I2650,15.0 XGA,1.6 GHZ-M P4
512MB 200MHZ 2 SODIMM
16MB DDR 4X AGP GEFORCE2 GO VIDEO
40GB HD 5400RPM, XPPro

ASUS Desktop System:
PIII 733MHz, 512 SDRAM
10+120 GBHDs, W98SE
Envision 15" LCD
CDROM+CDRW

158 Posts

September 16th, 2002 15:00

ditto on the coolpad. Notebook runs quieter and cooler and the desktop doesn't get damaged!
Pam.
read about it here:
http://coolpad.com

No Events found!