Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 19th, 2015 14:00

USB Wireless Keyboard volume controls stopped working

Ordered a DELL M4800 and Logitech K520 from Dell. After 6 months the volume control buttons stopped working.

I verified controls work on other Win7 computers. I followed all Logitech troubleshooting.

So I need help from DELL now.

I searched the Dell support forums. Whats' next?

1.8K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 12:00

Hello,

That's interesting.  I am going to assume that the other media buttons on that keyboard are still functioning correctly?  Was there any specific event that happened after which the volume controls stopped working?

I assume that you disconnected and reconnected the keyboard since you tried it with other systems.  What about drivers?  Did the Logitech troubleshooting include removing and updating drivers? 

I did a quick google search and found this article about keyboard volume buttons not working, and they seem to have found an answer.  Maybe that will help you as well?  There was also this thread from the Logitech boards that talked about a unifying software app?  Maybe running that will help repair the connection between your system and the keyboard?

Let me know if any of this helps, and if not I'll see what else I can find that we can try.

Todd

3 Posts

April 28th, 2015 17:00

Hi Todd. Thanks for the reply. So far none of the suggestions you posted were a fix.

Here is what I have done:

The mute/volume controls works on my HP Desktop Computer.

The mute/volume controls doesn't work on my Dell M4800 laptop anymore (they did for 6 months)

Both run Windows 7 Professional.

Here is what I've done on the Dell M4800 laptop:

1) Updated the drivers for all USB Hubs and devices.
2) Tried the receiver in other USB ports.
3) Replaced the batteries, tried the hold 5 key with batteries out for 30 seconds thing from your forum.
4) Installed the unify software and Un-Paired then re-paired the keyboard.
5) Made sure the human interface device access service is running and automatic.
6) reinstalled the latest audio drivers.
Also the laptop keyboard mute/volume controls work.
Again, the mute/volume controls works on my HP Desktop Computer.
So I believe this has something to do with the OS or possibly the Dell system software updates.
What's next Todd?
Thanks, Clyde

1.8K Posts

April 29th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

You reinstalled the latest audio drivers.  Were they the same drivers that were in the system when the audio controls would work?  Did you run any updates around the time that the problems started?  Either Windows updates, driver updates, or any other applications?

Trying to define down what could have caused the problem and if there are any settings different between the system that the keyboard works on and the M4800.  

Todd

3 Posts

April 29th, 2015 08:00

I reinstalled the audio drivers that came pre-installed with my Dell, the ones that were in use when the keyboard worked.

Windows updates come and are installed regularly. There are no drivers I'm aware of that have been updated from factory shipped versions.

1.8K Posts

May 1st, 2015 07:00

Hello,

What are the Windows audio settings at for that system?  If you click on the audio icon in your task box, the audio isn't muted, correct?  If you right click and Select Volume Control Options it's showing your speakers?  And you can control your volume using the normal Windows audio controls?

If so, I'm honestly stumped.   Not sure what is going on with the keyboard.  I'll see if I can find any other information.

Todd

1.8K Posts

May 4th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I'm sorry, but all I can think of is some software setting in your system is blocking the audio controls.  if the keyboard works correctly on other systems, but not this one, there has to be something causing that to happen.  If you've updated the drivers, checked all your audio control settings, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

Todd

No Events found!