Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

December 30th, 2008 08:00

What dell drivers fix the pci simple communications controller highlighted in the device manager?

What dell driver fixes the pci simple communications controller highlighted in device manager?

The options that dell gives are:

Applications (3), Audio (1), Bios (1), CD/DVD (25), Chipset (3), Communications (7), Diagnostics (2), IDE & EIDE Controllers (1), Input Device Drivers (3), Network (13),System Firmware (2), System Utilities (2), System Management (9), Video (3)

6.4K Posts

December 30th, 2008 10:00

This is generally the domain of the Intel Chipset Driver.  Incidentally, when you begin installing drivers you must install the Notebook System Software (in System Utilities if available for your computer and OS) and the Intel Chipset Driver in that order and before anything else.  The remaining drivers are less picky about order of installation, but Dell suggests you install the video, network (Ethernet), sound, and modem after those first two.  While the list does continue, I've never had a problem with choosing my own loading order after those first drivers.

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

Jack is correct you need to install all three of the files listed in the chipset section. Would suggest you try these safe mode.

14.4K Posts

February 20th, 2010 18:00

I could not figure out, even how to download the drivers for my D610 laptop from the dell site, the process is such a nightmare. I had to download them on my desktop to the downloads folder, save them to a DVD, and then open each one with the DVD in my laptop drive.  Nothing this simple should be this convoluted. are the dell programmers drinking too much latte? I get some kind of error message no matter what I do. And the chipset drivers are all one program, that I can see, there isn't a way to select this pci simple comm controller driver by itself. I did install the chipset, it shows in device manager as a separate category.

What sysystem? what OS? If you are runing XP and you reloaded the OS  you must install the drivers in THIS order

3 Posts

I could not figure out, even how to download the drivers for my D610 laptop from the dell site, the process is such a nightmare. I had to download them on my desktop to the downloads folder, save them to a DVD, and then open each one with the DVD in my laptop drive.  Nothing this simple should be this convoluted. are the dell programmers drinking too much latte? I get some kind of error message no matter what I do. And the chipset drivers are all one program, that I can see, there isn't a way to select this pci simple comm controller driver by itself. I did install the chipset, it shows in device manager as a separate category.

3 Posts

I have installed the chipset driver and it didn't fix the problem, it still shows the dreaded yellow exclamation point in device manager

3 Posts

February 20th, 2010 20:00

I did find that list of "in this order", however, the Dell website list for the drivers for the D610 laptop did not have this one in the list for the D610: Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first. Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page

So back to how i did it, I downloaded all the drivers onto my desktop, saved them to a DVD, then loaded them into the laptop from that DVD. Dell makes this process so ridiculously complex, once the drivers are downloaded, you don't know what they are, because they have a number, not a description of what it is. I had to download each one individually to my desktop too, because the download for the download manager is another ridiculous step that doesn't work. It was an application file that you can't open, and when you can open it, it says "some files are missing this won't open no way no how."

14.4K Posts

February 21st, 2010 05:00

The list is not really worded as is should be as not all the systems have the Desktop or Notebook system software and that should be stated in the write up, however the rest of the list is correct.

I have to aggree with your points on obtaining the drivers. I have always stated to Dell that they should label the driver by its catagory name, rathere than a number. Having to download on one computer to transfer to another is not all that uncommon if one does not have the Drivers and Utilities disk that ships with the computer.

The download manager is and has always been a real pain and should be deleted. Another point that I continue to suggest to Dell that they drop. You will most always see the more active members always giving advice to not use it.

1 Message

March 26th, 2010 23:00

Get the 2 intel chipset drivers. I had the same drivers missing for both with my dell 760 with Windows 7

2 Posts

September 29th, 2011 13:00

for my latitude 6520 it was the intel unified AMT 7 management interface driver that solved this.

1 Message

October 19th, 2011 12:00

Same driver for me.

14.4K Posts

October 19th, 2011 15:00

Same driver for me.

What Dell system? What version of Windows? Always post this info to get the fastest help

2 Posts

October 28th, 2011 20:00

when u r in device manager look for which device is specifies that has the explination point left click it and there should be a neme of it on the general info tab 

No Events found!