Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2011 14:00

Windows 7 Crash. Programs wont open

My cousin recently installed a spyware program that caused my computer to crash.  Now none of the programs will open.  I can't get into the internet, any other antiviruses or ANYTHING.  I found all my disks that came with the computer but I dont have a Windows disk.  Do i need one to fix my computer? Can I use someone elses? How can I fix my laptop!?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 16th, 2011 14:00

Hi

Can you provide some more information.

What is your laptop? e.g. Dell Inspiron 6400.

What OS is it Windows XP, Vista (32 bit or 64 bit), Windows 7 (32 bit or 64 bit)?

What is the spyware?

What security programs do you have?

What discs do you have? 

You should have the Windows disc and/or the Dell Quick Restore Partition.

You should download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to a USB flash stick (using another computer).

Insert the USB stick into the broken computer. Boot Windows into safe mode. Power off and hold F8 while powering up, select safe mode, log on as normal, and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and let it do a full scan (Update it if it lets you first).

P.S. there is a Virus and Spyware Forum which may further assist you.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 17th, 2011 10:00

Did you try booting into safe mode? Power off the computer and tap F8 as you power it back up until you get the following screen.

Select safe mode. On another computer, download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and save it to a flashdrive. Insert the flashdrive into your broken one, install Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and tell it to do a full system scan.

Let me know how that goes. Do you have all your data backed up on your computer. Windows 7 Home Premium x64? Norton probably isn't the best. i.e. you won't lose anything if you restore your computer back to factory settings?

3 Posts

July 17th, 2011 10:00

i have an inspiron 1545, windows 7 64 bit, i vurrently and previously use norton 360 as my security and i believe the spyware was called adware but i cant remember

3 Posts

July 17th, 2011 11:00

The programs still wont run in safe mode.  I think that my dad backed up most of my stuff and there's nothing that important on there, just old files from last semester that I dont need anymore

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2011 12:00

Here's how to do a factory restore:

support.dell.com/.../document

No Events found!