Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 16:00

Windows 7 activation code issue

I bought a Dell Inspiron N5110 for my granddaughter for college.  Her virus protection software didn't protect her from a virus that was running amok on campus.  She took the laptop to the campus IT department.  They cleared the virus, but while they were at it, they installed a different version of Windows 7 (Professional instead of Home Premier). The activation key shown in the system security window does not actiate -- "This is not a Professional Activation Key". A notice pops up saying that it must be activated in the next two weeks.  I have no idea how to get back to the original OS, since Windows 7 was pre-loaded and came with no discs.  Dell has been absolutely no help.  Any suggestions?  I hate to have to buy Windows 7, again.  The same thing happened with Office 2010 (or 2012, which ever was installed initially) except the campus IT did not even try to re-install that.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 28th, 2013 16:00

You might want to check with the university - some provide low-cost (or no-cost) copies of Windows and Office for students.  If not, you can order a Dell Windows cd from the link below - but you'll have to do a ground-up reload of the OS.

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

As for Office, it was probably 2010 - and it can be downloaded from Microsoft.  If you purchased it (i.e., it wasn't the free Starter edition), you will have a card with the license key on it.

14 Posts

April 21st, 2013 17:00

I am in the process of a clean Windows 7 install from an ISO file from DigitalRivers.  It is not quite done.  I suspect that I will have it resolved long before my replacement disc arrives, though.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2013 11:00

it's a virus.  Call Microsoft and go with them over the phone.  They should verify that you have a copy.  But the website it takes you too is a fake.  It offers you to buy premium windows for about $140 or so.  In reality its about $340 but it is a scam.

I don't know how to resolve it yet as I am talking to high level Microsoft people about this.

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2013 06:00

Microsoft tech made me a new key.  The tech also went through my registry files online to fix and verify everything.  He downloaded a few virus detectors that I have never heard of and took out the viruses.   Apparently, many viruses are downloaded over time and there are creative people who sit in dark rooms and think of such things.  Some get paid just by forcing people to go to certain websites.   And they block any existing virus protector without detection. 

I had to uninstall my virus protector, then reinstall mine. But I needed someone to go through the reg files as this initially did not update new virus protection.  I had to pay for this.  I used  a online company called yogi support (someone how are hooked up with total defense by SA) , which are very good.  Yes it cost me $160 but this include a year of support which I have started to use. on other related matters.  It does come in handy.  It seems that many websites, including many download solutions (even from personal utube videos) are compromised.

No Events found!