Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2017 19:00

XPS 13 9360 Keyboard Question

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can swap Fn and Ctrl keys?

The centers of the C and left Ctrl keys are over three inches apart.  I keep hitting the Fn key when I mean to hit Ctrl.

There's no option in the BIOS to remap Fn to Ctrl.  The kernel doesn't see Fn keypresses at all, so I can't remap at the OS level.  

2K Posts

July 10th, 2017 22:00

Hi WAKALIXES,

Kindly review this link on how to remap keys using an utility.

Hope it helps resolve the issue.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

5 Posts

July 10th, 2017 23:00

Hi Rishi,

Thanks for the reply.  That link did not help.

I bought the developer version of the XPS 13, so it is running Linux.  The 'xev' utility does not generate any output when I press the Fn key, so I suspect that remapping this key at the OS level is impossible.

Since posting this thread, I have found the "OS and Applications" forum that has a section for the XPS 13 developer edition.  I started a thread there with the hope that someone there has some insight into this issue.

Thanks

2K Posts

July 11th, 2017 00:00

Hi WAKALIXES,

Thank you for the update.

I searched through many Linux forums and most of them say that fn key cannot be remapped. 

Below are some of threads that provide the explanation:

One | Two | Three

So, I presume, swapping the fn key to ctrl is not possible, since BIOS or OS does not see any matching keycode for just "fn".

Hoping, one of the Linux experts see your thread in the OS section and reply to that, advising any other alternatives. 

No Events found!