Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2012 09:00

XPS 14z Wired NIC Disconnect/physical connection issue

While I wait on hold for tech support I figured I'd post here and see if there's any advice.  I noticed this issue almost immediately after first getting the 14z earlier this year.  The wired NIC on the system seems to be machined incorrectly.  When connecting a network cable it will "click" into place but still not be connected.  You have to jam the cord into the port and sort of wiggle it around and you'll get a connection.  If you even so much as bump the laptop at this point you get disconnected again.  (and yes, this is with a number of Ethernet cables, different routers, switches etc etc).

So as I said I noticed this when I first ordered the notebook and Dell dispatched a tech to replace the motherboard.  I'm sure I probably tested the system afterwards and was satified the port was fixed and I don't really ever use the wired connection anyway.  Well this past week I was working from a client's office and the issue came back with a vengence.  It was a pretty frustrating week as I really needed to use the wired connection and couldn't.

What I'm afraid of is that Dell is just going to replace the motherboard again without acknowleding that there might be some systematic issue with these systems.  I think it may be systematic because when you google about this you find this (overly vulgar/juvenile) blog post http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2012/02/13/why-dell-hardware-is-***/ and a ton of people commenting with the same exact problem.

I don't want to go through the hassle of scheduling another onsite visit or worse, send my notebook into the depot, if they're not actually going to ever fix the issue.

1 Message

November 16th, 2012 04:00

Hi, I have the same problem on my Dell XPS 14x.

The network card port doesn't work, or work very randomly, dropping continuosly the connection.

I have already replaced once the motherboard but the issue come up again after few days.

It's an hardware problem.

Now they will replace again the motherboard and then let's see.

How have you solved it?

Please let me know!

Regards,

Marco

2 Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

They'll just replace the motherboard again.  That's what they did to me and then when that didn't fix the issue they insisted the notebook be sent in for depot service.  Well I'll just deal with it because I don't have another system and I can't be without mine for weeks.  First and last time buying a Dell laptop, I'll stick with HP.

677 Posts

November 20th, 2012 06:00

Hi MarcoGiorgi,

Replacing the Motherboard should fix the issue. Even after the Motherboard replacement if the issue persists, then we might have to do further troubleshooting. I would request you check if the LAN cable fits in the Ethernet properly without a loose contact.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

No Events found!