Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2011 09:00

XPS 15 - I want to do clean install of Windows - Anyone with same experience please help

I Just received my XPS 15 and am in the process of running memory and disk tests.

Once that is done, I would like to, as I do with all of my new computers, perform a clean install of Windows. However, this is the first computer I've purchased that did not come with a Windows re-installation disk. Instead, using the Dell Data Safe software, I had to create (3) system recovery disks.

This is the first time I ever had to create recovery disks like this and was wondering if someone could tell me if a clean install of Windows is possible using these recovery disks without installing the crapware, i.e., Dell Stage, Cozi Family Calendar, etc. or, will these programs be installed automatically upon recovering from these disks?

Further, what about the drivers? Will they also be installed automatically when recovering from these disks? I DID receive a CD from Dell which is entitled Drivers & Utilities.

I'm pretty anal about this and usually do a clean install of Windows on my computers every 6 months or so. I just want to make sure I do it right on this new laptop.

Thank you very much for your help.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The only thing you can do with those discs is a restore of the original configuration.  Then simply remove whatever is there that you don't want.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

See the wiki I made below, it tells you how to do everything from scratch.

No Events found!