Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2012 10:00

XPS 15 laptop and home recording

I have experienced a few problems with my XPS 15 laptop  when recording music with a cakewalk sonar home recording programme. Sometimes it suddenly crashes. Someone at cakewalk suggested that I alter the computer BIOS to improve the performance. He suggested the following:

"Speedstep or Processor Throttling

This optimization is probably one of the most important out of all of these. Unfortunately due to

the vast array of differences in computer manufacturing, we don't have a specific step by step

tutorial on how to do this. This setting can be disabled from your computers BIOS. If you are

familiar with your computers BIOS, look for “Intel Speedstep”, “AMD Cool n' Quiet”, or “Dynamic

Acceleration” and disable it. This is basically a setting that ramps down your CPU clock cycles to a

slower speed, to save electricity. In many cases it interferes heavily with most recording

processes on a computer and can severely degrade your performance. Disabling this setting will

also make all of your other programs perform a lot faster as well."

Anyone know how I might make these changes to an xps 15 laptop?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

September 17th, 2012 11:00

Hi JulesXPS,

Please find below, the instructions to disable Intel® SpeedStep in the BIOS of your XPS 15:

1)      Tap ‘F2’ as soon as the computer starts to enter the system setup or BIOS

2)      Please confirm that you are able to see the headings ‘Main’, ‘Advanced’, ‘Security’, ‘Boot’ and ‘Exit’ on the screen

3)      Use the right-arrow key to navigate to ‘Advanced’

4)      The very first option should read ‘Intel® SpeedStep’ and the setting should be set to ‘[Enable]’ or ‘ ’

5)      Press the ‘Enter’ key and the BIOS should display a pop-up menu with the option to select ‘[Disable]’ or ‘ ’. Please use the ‘up’ or ‘down’ arrow key to select the option to disable SpeedStep and press ‘Enter’ again

6)      Press the ‘F10’ key to save the changes and exit the BIOS screen, when asked to confirm the same, pelase select ‘Yes’ and press ‘Enter’

Please try the above steps and let me know if you need further assistance.

No Events found!