Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2012 05:00

XPS L502x - Realtek HD Audio no speaker or headphone sound

Hello,

I have an XPS L502x, I did a Factory re-insall from 3X DVD's after I changed from HDD to SSD ('m not sure if that has anything to do with the problem because I can't remember if it worked before I did the HDD to SSD swap and Factory re-install, however I do know it has worked at some time but it was possibly when I had done a manual windows and drivers install....

The problem is plugging in headphones or external speakers does not work, there is no audio....

Going to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound - Manage Audio Devices the SPEAKERS have a green tick, but REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT says "not plugged in".

Also when I go into Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - and click Realtek HD Audio Manager it simply does not open......

Any help appreciated, thank-you.

122 Posts

January 25th, 2012 06:00

I forgot to post this when I posted that last screenshot...

Below when I click on Realtek HD Audio Manager nothing happens at all... Nothing even opens...

http://i41.tinypic.com/ff1wee.jpg

122 Posts

Hi,

I think this screenshot will tell you all you need to know, seems to me all is OK with it?

http://i43.tinypic.com/8wbf5g.jpg

The audio is coming from my laptop speakers, even though I have headphones in the headphone jack....

There is only 1 audio driver on the Dell drivers page for XPS 15 (I have L502x) which is linked below, and yes I have downloaded it :

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

Going to Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound - Manage Audio Devices the SPEAKERS have a green tick, but REALTEK DIGITAL OUTPUT says "not plugged in".

That is normal. You want the Speakers to be the default device.  Digital output "not plugged in" means that there is nothing connected to a digital output port which is okay because the headphone jack is an analog port.

Try looking into the "Configuration" and the "Properties" settings for the speakers, and if all settings look okay then try reinstalling the Realtek driver. If that doesn't help then I would suspect a hardware failure.

122 Posts

Bye the way, when I plug in / unplug the headphones in the jack I can hear a little static crackle, I'm not sure if that indicates there is no hardware failure?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 25th, 2012 08:00

There is only 1 audio driver on the Dell drivers page for XPS 15 (I have L502x) which is linked below, and yes I have downloaded it :

I suggested that you re-install the driver because logically the problem is either in the configuration, the driver, or the hardware. By re-installing the driver you re-set the configuration to default, which would be that the speakers cut off when a plug is in the jack, and also would correct if the driver was somehow corrupted.

122 Posts

January 25th, 2012 09:00

Strange, I went to Control Panels - Programmes - Uninstall and uninstalled Realtek HD Audio, when my laptop restarted the Windows jingle came through my headphones !!!!! Then I played a music file and it worked with headphones !!! Why is this working now that Realtek HD Audio is uninstalled ? ? ? 

So what do I do? Do I just leave Realtek uninstalled ? 

122 Posts

Re-installed and seems to be working now whenever I plug in or unplug headphones, but I got a rundlllll32 error....

However I still have the problem of when I click on Realtek HD Audio nothing happens, it won't open up eg:

http://i41.tinypic.com/ff1wee.jpg

122 Posts

Un-installed in uninstall programmes and it's working again....

What is it?

122 Posts

Seems the Realtek folder is still in "Programme Files" but the one that was in "Programme Files x86" is gone....

122 Posts

Agh now that I unplugged the headphones when I plug them back in they're not working again.......

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 25th, 2012 11:00

Uninstall and uninstalled Realtek HD Audio, when my laptop restarted the Windows jingle came through my headphones !!!!! Then I played a music file and it worked with headphones !!! Why is this working now that Realtek HD Audio is uninstalled ? ? ? 

After you removed the Realtek driver and rebooted, Windows installed its basic HD audio driver when it could not find a manufacturer's driver in the driver folder. Apparently it is not having a problem with the jacks. I can't explain why the Realtek driver is having that problem and why you are getting error messages.

122 Posts

January 26th, 2012 00:00

Jim,

I'm doing a clean install and am wanting to install the Creative Sound Blaster X-fi CD, but it's asking me for an activation code...

I suspect I've screwed up and it was somewhere on the paper sleeve the CD was in when my laptop arrived from Dell, however I threw it away not realising what it was, as I  put the CD in a hard plastic case to keep safe...

It doesn't appear to have anything printed on the actual CD...

Any idea what to do now?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 26th, 2012 05:00

I had bookmarked the part of the Creative site where you request a new activation code but when I use the bookmark I am getting an error, "The website could not display this page." I don't know if it is a temporary problem or if Creative has taken it down. It was working about a week ago.

http://us.creative.com/advmb/

122 Posts

January 26th, 2012 06:00

Just clicked the link, yes I'm getting the same error also.

122 Posts

January 26th, 2012 07:00

Sorry I wrote above SSD when I should have said HDD. Tonight I swapped back to my HDD which is giving the detailed error message, it seems it deteriorated in the week after I made the Factory backup, however factory backup suggests it arrived with something not right.......

No Events found!