Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2012 12:00

XPS M1330 Battery Not Detected

Hello I have an XPS M1330, probably about 2 or 3 years old. Generally no problems with the hardware (although Vista is awful!) until just recently. The battery is 'not detected' by the machine. This means I can only turn it on and use it when it's plugged in; and if I inadvertently disconnect the power cord the machine simply ceases to operate putting open files at risk. How can I get thebattery to reconnect to the machine?

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 12:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community

It appears that the battery is no longer working and needs replacement.

Thanks!

Rishi Pathak

Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

June 22nd, 2012 13:00

• Hi,

Welcome to the Community,

Kindly perform the following steps and revert.

1. Disconnect AC

2. Shutdown

3. Remove battery

4. Connect AC

5. Startup

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown

8. Disconnect AC

9. Insert battery

10. Connect AC

11. Startup

Thanks,

Jitender

June 22nd, 2012 15:00

Thanks - is there a way of testing the battery before replacing it? I don't want to buy a new one and then find that actually the connection to the motherboard (or something) has failed and that's what has caused the problem.

18 Posts

June 22nd, 2012 15:00

Hi

You can check battery health in one of two ways:

By using the charge gauge on the battery, as described below, and by using the Battery Meter in Dell QuickSet. For information about QuickSet, right-click the QuickSet icon in the notification area, and then click Help.

To check the battery health using the charge gauge, press and hold the status button on the battery charge gauge for at least 3 seconds to illuminate the health indicator lights. Each light represents incremental degradation. If no lights appear, the battery is in good condition, and more than 80 percent of its original charge capacity remains. If five lights appear, less than 60 percent of the charge capacity remains, and you should consider replacing the battery.

However , if the battery has some physical faults as well you might not be able to use the charge gauge and with the only option to replace it.

Thanks,

Rishi

June 23rd, 2012 15:00

Thanks - the message I get says: 'The system cannot communicate with the battery'. So nothing else can work. The guage on the battery itself is dead - or rather no lights show at all. I am fine with buying a new battery but obviously I don't want to do that if the fault is with something else.

No Events found!