Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

January 18th, 2009 02:00

XPS M1530 Using External Monitor AND Laptop Screen

I just ordered an XPS M1530 laptop and am awaiting delivery. What setting should I use to use one screen for e-mail and one screen for internet? Thx.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 15:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

As far as I know, you can't actually use two screens at the same time.  You have to select between the two (in your graphics options)?

You'd need to use something like a Matrox DualHead2Go, or a Kensington SD200V Laptop Docking Station with Video.

January 19th, 2009 17:00

are you serious?  even my inspiron 6000 can have an extended desktop.  i was about to buy the 1530 but am definitely holding off until i find out the answer to this. 

that would be unbelievably disappointing.  every dell should be able to use the laptop screen + an external monitor extended desktop, no problem.  anyone else actually know the answer to this?

January 19th, 2009 18:00

k, well sounds like it should be possible...  if anyone else knows for sure, please chip in!

otherwise, here comes my purchase!

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 18:00

It would appear you *may* be right :emotion-55:

It doesn't mention how to set them up - specifically, but have a read of this Notebook Review forums thread for more info (post 4 onwards).

I believe once the external monitor is connected, you'll see an option for using the two screens - similar to the 'DualView' options seen in this article for enabling them in XP?

But I'm not sure if that's just for 'expanding' whatever is being displayed on your laptop screen - to the external screen, or if you can use that option to display two different things - as you're wanting to do (an "extended" desktop is completely different to having separate things running on each screen)... so I'd wait for somebody who knows what they're talking about :emotion-2:

I've never actually hooked up an external monitor to my laptop, so I was only going on what [I thought] I'd read?

3.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 20:00

No Events found!