Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 21st, 2010 10:00

XPS m2010

can anyone help with upgrading my m2010 wtih XP to windows 7???

263 Posts

February 21st, 2010 13:00

HEJINC,

Have you run the MS upgrade advisor for Win 7 yet? This will tell you all you want to know ,hardware and software, and what may have to be fixed whether you go 32 or 64 bit.

Beyond that, I have attached a thread that is lengthly but takes you thru the process. You will get no help from Dell and no win 7 drivers from them either, but it can be done. Do take the time to read the thread so you know where the pitfalls are and how to fix them.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274840/19608185.aspx?PageIndex=1

Best of luck.

32 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

thanks a lot for the info. i'll read thru the info & get back to you if i have any questions

Again, thanks alot!!!

263 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 04:00

Here is another thread that is quite long as well that goes along with the first one I sent you. It may lay the process out better for you.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19305096.aspx

Your welcome

32 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 16:00

i'm planning to install win7 32bit,

i have read about the 2 bluetooth drivers (R142181 and R1621000), i read about options saying use them & some saying don't use them. whould i use them or the windows 7 drivers?

how would this effect "ACPI Function Key Handler" ?

thanks again for all your help

HEJINC

263 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 17:00

HEJINC,crc2,

Glad you read them thru to see what all the brains went through to make this work. Did you read also the second thread I sent you? In the second thread, why isn't Dell providing drivers etc, there are to procedures written by crc2, one for 32 and one for 64 bit. There titled as northernlights. This will lay the procedure right out from start to finish.

The procedure would be to let Win updates download the bluetooth. As far as the famous ACPI, you will not have the function keys, Fn-F2, Fn-F3, etc. Dell has done nothing with this and won't. Maybe someday someone will find a fix. Personally, it doesn't bother me as I don't use Wi-Fi and to switch it on and off with Fn-F2.

I have brought crc2 into the post as he was one of the significant providers of this procedure. He can help if problems arise.

Do your homework and you'll be okay. Help is nearby.  

263 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 17:00

HEJINC,

One thing I forgot to ask you is do you have MediaDirect on your system? There is must procedure to follow if you do. If you have it, do you have the MD disk?

Belboy3

32 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 08:00

i have not read the second link, yet. 

how do i find crc2 procedures? , search for northernlights? i'm all new to this community thing!

so, if i don't have the ACPI function, i ONLY loss the fn+(whatever) funstions? i almost never turn the wifi off, unless i need to go wired for large data transfers. is the another way of control it, other than disable it for a bit?

i did find this last week, http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19274840/19607952.aspx#19607952 and i download all the vista 32 drivers he/she suggested, but the Ricoh i download it from dell, he got his from his vista CD

below is a list of what "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor" siad i had problems with, regaurdless of applications, all others got a green check mark

ACPI Function Keys
TOSHIBA CORPORATION
Unknown
We don't have compatibility information about this device.
Bluetooth HID port from TOSHIBA
TOSHIBA
Unknown
Bluetooth Personal Area Network from TOSHIBA
Toshiba
Unknown
Bluetooth RFBNEP from TOSHIBA
TOSHIBA
Unknown
QuickCam for Dell Notebooks
Logitech
Unknown
Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Unknown
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Unknown
We don't have compatibility information about this device

thanks again for all you help, you rock! :)

263 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 13:00

HEJINC,crc2,

I would suggest you read the second link so you have a total perspectice. Understand not all 2010's are built the same.

I have attached the northernlights, which is in the second link, for you. http://northernlights.me.uk/How%20to%20install%20Windows7_%2032bit%20on%20XPS%20M2010%20by%20wgt40w.doc

The link you gave me RE: 1 Triad is where I got started in doing mine. Sounds like you are on the right track and doing your homework. This ,of course, doesn't mean you will not encounter problems. You should have a USB corded mouse and keyboard because you will loose the bluetooth for a period of time.

Am I safe to assume you do not have MediaDirect? Your Upgrade advisor looks right.

Keep up the good fight and you will make it. 

32 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 17:00

MediaDirect. that's from dell, right. that sounds like one of the first things i removed from my pc when i got it, LOL

my system has been striped down as much as possible! I got rid of all the fluff that was installed.

thanks for the links, i'll read thru all of them before i begin.

263 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 18:00

MediaDirect turns on with the small button to the left of the power button. MD can be turned on without the computer being booted and you can play CD's and DVD just by turning it on. Probably not all M2010's were loaded with it. The thing is, if doing a clean install,  you will not be able to use it without doing another clean install as MD has to be loaded on the HDD first. Just wanted you to know just in case. 

92 Posts

February 23rd, 2010 23:00

Greetings belboy3 and HEJINC,

Yes, I am still here and happy to watch over while Gloucester UK is gripped in an ice age (we only need 1mm snow to be paralysed)! HEJINC, you are in safe hands with belboy3. A lot of work has been done by belboy3 to build upon what other Forum warriors happily pulled together to crack how to install Windows 7 in the premium M2010. As belboy3 points out not all M2010's are built with the same components, so some unexpected issues may arise. Personally speaking I would aim for Windows 7 64bit, but the choice is yours.

As for MD I understand what it is but never needed it. The procedure describes a clean installation by instructing Windows 7 to format the drive (to get rid of all debris from previous installations). From reading through the posts it seems that in order to install it before windows 7 then you will need to cancel installation after Windows 7 formats the HDD, then install Media Direct, and then try to pick up the Windows installation again?  Doesn't sound too good, but anyway, MD sounds like a DOS programme, possibly 8 or 16bit? Ummmm, things might get really messy? I suggest you stick with belboy3's advice. 

For sake of convenience I add the latest URL's.

Clean install procedures.

http://northernlights.me.uk/Windows7-32bit-XPS M2010-wgt40w.doc

http://northernlights.me.uk/Windows7-64bit- XPS M2010-crc2.doc

To see how your Device Manager should look after installation:

http://northernlights.me.uk/M2010 Device Manager screenshot.doc

Am sure you will be very happy when Windows 7 boots up. It's the best to come out of Microsoft yet!

32 Posts

February 24th, 2010 05:00

i would like to use the 64 bit version, but i only have a free 32 bit version to use. i'm only doing this cause i need a win 7 PC for doing computer work. so i can learn about it, play it & figure where they put everything, LOL

now for the MD from dell, i never used it, i did not know that you could use it with out booting the pc. i use windows media player to play my music.

thanks again for the links, i got a lot of reading to do before i start this. i'll keep you up to date as things go. i'll try to document the steps & post them for everyone

wish me luck :)

92 Posts

February 24th, 2010 05:00

Good luck- but hopefully not needed.

263 Posts

February 24th, 2010 08:00

I understand using the 32 bit and you should find it easier to upgrade. Less driver issues.

As far as MD is concerned, page 46 in the manual explains it. If installing it, load MD first on clean HDD, it will allow you to set up you partitions and size, either 1 or 2, being C for boot or C for boot and D for data. Then pull disk, load win 7 disk and it will load into your C for boot. When done loading win 7, reinsert disk and load MD software. Then move on to win updates and drivers. It's a painless process and it will be there if you ever want to use it. The partition MD sets is about 2-4GB. It's a nice feature if your into it either music or movies or might become so in the furture without having to boot the system.

I see crc2 was kind enough to give you all the links you need. His knowledge is invaluable about this.

Good luck with the reading and know help is out here if you need it. 

263 Posts

February 24th, 2010 17:00

HEJINC and crc2,

Came across an interesting post today about the procedure for getting the webcam working in Win 7x64.  Thought I would post the link here for you to read.

crc2, thought you might want to look this over in case you might want to add it to your procedure. It's very similar to how I did it and  it works. THe main thing is to load your software before any drivers.

Have a great day.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19323959/19664463.aspx

No Events found!