Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

14 Posts

July 11th, 2008 08:00

laptop google page displayed

hi

i have a xps 1530 laptop which is only 2 months old.when i switch it on the first item that is displayed after the desktop has finished loading is a google page saying ( the the web address that i have been searching cannot be displayed please make sure that the web address is correct).there is no close(x),(-) icon s on the page. i cannot find out how to uninstall this as the main google web never comes up.and all i can do is to move the page all the way down to the bottom of the screen. can anyone please help me or should i call dell support as this pc is only 2 months old.  

14 Posts

July 11th, 2008 09:00

hi

i cannot post a screen shot at this moment as the laptop is at home and i am at work at this moment.but i have ran spyware removal program  from lavasoft.   

35 Posts

July 11th, 2008 09:00

sounds like spyware to me. can u post a screenshot ?

18 Posts

July 12th, 2008 01:00

How you take a screenshot?  Do you have special software?  I apologize for the question but kind of a rookie here.

14 Posts

July 12th, 2008 05:00

I have  not taken screen shot yet and  i do not have any special software.the only software i have is spyware removal program from lavasoft.

4.6K Posts

July 12th, 2008 10:00

@twostep55 wrote:

How you take a screenshot?  Do you have special software?

Nope. 

Whilst there are dedicated screenshot capture programs available... no special software is required.

How to take a screenshot in Microsoft Windows ;)

@ Sawinder:  Whilst Ad-Aware is a good program... you should not rely on just the one program to check your system for spyware.

Other FREE programs you should consider using, include:  Arovax, a-Squared Free, Spybot Search & Destroy (very popular), AVG Anti Spyware, The Cleaner, and PC Tools 'Threatfire'.

Furthermore... I'd suggest it might be a good idea to install a 'real-time' anti spyware program.

That is to say - one which loads at startup, then sits and monitors your system in the background, helping prevent spyware getting onto it in the first place.

Spyware Terminator is one such program... with the added benefit that it's also FREE ;)

14 Posts

August 25th, 2008 12:00

Hi

i have tried using spyware terminator to get rid of google web that appears permanently soon as the laptop is working and it did not identify the spyware or get rid off it. can anyone please help me out and let me know what else i can do.  

274 Posts

August 25th, 2008 13:00

Have you tried ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager? From there, you may be able to see which process it is, and not

only kill it from there, but may be able to find its location.

You can also check you start up folder and may be able to delete it from there. vista icon (start), all programs, startup folder... then

see whats in there loading at startup

If its not in start up, you can try msconfig.. type that in the search box from the vista icon, right click on the msconfig that

pops up in search, run as administrator, startup tab... then you can uncheck the offending item...

Good luck and keep us informed!!

edit* (some more thoughts)

another option is to click vista icon, control panel, programs and features, see if there is anything named google in there and

uninstall it ( not sure if you may have inadvertantly installed google toolbar or something acting like it is..

I do agree that you should also install a realtime spyware protection program.. not sure if you have windows defender turned on..

I use Spybot.. it works well

Message Edited by GodfreyOuwens on 08-25-2008 09:51 AM
Message Edited by GodfreyOuwens on 08-25-2008 09:53 AM
No Events found!