Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 23rd, 2008 13:00

plugged in, not charging

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my computer would automaticaly shut down when the power cord was removed, I hovered over the battery icon in the bottom right corner and it said 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I googled the phrase plugged in, not charging and realised lots of people were having the same problem.

I have tried

• restarting and shutting down my computer (with and without battery and with and without power cord)
  • removing and replacing my battery (while laptop is on and off)
  • a replacement battery from Dell
  • my sister's battery and power cord (she also has a 1525)in my laptop and get the message plugged in, not charging. My battery in her laptop will charge but my power cord in her laptop says plugged in, not charging
  • removing the battery with the laptop on then restarting the laptop and replacing the battery
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Power Management Software
  • switching between power plans
  • flashing with current bios

All 3 batteries (hers, my original and my replacement) have adequate charge (50% or higher)

I run with Windows Vista Home edition

Can anyone help me or suggest anything else?

I have been to the local Dell distributer and they tell me to call Dell.  I have tried calling Dell but I keep getting put on hold for 30+ minutes.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2 Posts

November 7th, 2009 00:00

I bought a new A/C charger - no joy. Took the laptop apart and jiggled the power socket - no joy.

A previous poster suggested tapping the back of the laptop in the vicinity of the power socket.

I tried this, "tapping" as hard as I could and it worked. The thing charges fine now. Still, won't be buying a Dell again after this carry on.

2 Posts

November 7th, 2009 05:00

I've been having the "plugged in, not charging" problem with my XPS M1330 for quite a while now but haven't taken the time to try to find a solution until coming here now.  I just tried hitting where it says XPS and -- what do you know -- it's charging!!  Crazy. Thanks for the help.

1 Message

November 11th, 2009 01:00

I found the same problem last week on Mums Dell Inspiron 1525. I tried Google for the solution, and came across this site in the process. After much research it seems that this is a very common problem at present, with no solution offered other than hit the computer above the Esc key!

So here is how I solved the problem.....

Click on Start, My Computer, then right click  on Local Disk C. Click on Properties, then Tools, then Error Checking, Check now. Shut down the computer and restart, which will put the error checking into process. When I did this it identified and repaired a number of disk errors and following the operation the problem was solved and the computer works perfectly - plugged in or on the battery.

No guarantee folks, but it worked for me.

1 Message

November 20th, 2009 18:00

FOUND A SOLUTION

It seems there are several different solutons out there but this one did it for me.  I have been working on computers for a living for about 15 years and was completely amazed that this actually worked for me. 

1. Turn on the laptop

2. Unplug the power cord from the laptop and blow several times into the end of the recepacle that plugs into the laptop

3. Blow several times into the laptop where the power plugs into

After I did that it started working.  I found this solution on another post and I am still in shock it worked. 

1 Message

November 27th, 2009 18:00

Bizarre!  I can't believe it either, but this also worked for me. :emotion-21:

1 Message

November 30th, 2009 23:00

I too am the owner of a M1530.  After about a few months, I got the dreaded "Plugged in -not charging" message.  I went online.  A repairman said that the Dell adapters seem to need to be "discharged" before they will charge your computer.  (I also think that the last 2 posters were right too.  Makes sense that getting dust or debris on the plug -or- plug's receptacle on the computer, could make it so the adapter can't charge the computer.)

The repairman said to discharge the adapter by:

While the computer is on and plugged in, just unplug the adapter

from the computer.  Then plug the adapter back into the computer. 

The adapter will now charge the computer.

It worked for me and still works like a charm each and every time!!   It's been about 6 months now!!   :emotion-2:

1 Message

December 13th, 2009 15:00

This fixed my Inspiron 1525 battery "plugged in but not charging" problem.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2009 19:00

The answer is yes the problem is in the motherboard.  It has happened to both my 1530s.  I still think it should be a recall but here are a few tricks that might be temporary or permanent. When this first started happening to my dell xps1530 I took the plug in and kind of shook i in the port.  It fixed the problem for a few months then I had to do it again.  After a while it quit working and already having 2 plug in adapters as I have 2 of these computers I ruled that out as a problem right off the bat.  It is in the motherboard.  If you are a guru or feel comfortable taking apart your computer if out of warranty you can try to re solder the port back as it is probably unseated in the motherboard.  I had one fixed under warranty and the other I did myself.  I do have a degree though in electronics so I have some experience.  But honestly if you can safely take this computer apart, you can fix the problem.  If that doesnt work CYSCO will find a comparable  replacement port which is what I did.  I took the AC adapter and just put the matching male on it to make it work.  I still find it amazing that with as many complaints as you see on the net Dell hasn't made a recall on such a honestly easy fix.  Both computers, poor soldering point on a heated area.   All you need is some experience and a little knowledge or buy a MAC my next choice.  I wouldnt suggest doing it if you have no experience.

3 Posts

December 18th, 2009 06:00

I have the same problem. I noticed that my system works if the battery is charged (I bought a new battery & it worked for a while). It will not work just plugged in. Problem is of course the power supply is not properly connecting to the motherboard so the battery is not getting charged. So is there an external battery charger I can plug the battery into, then when it is charged I can plug it into my laptop and work? I have two batteries now so I can charge one while working with the other.

John

11 Posts

January 1st, 2010 12:00

the ac adapter is supposed to be 90w get new charger

11 Posts

January 1st, 2010 13:00

i was getting unknown device on bios all i did was remove and plug cord back in 10 -15 times quickly and once it recognizes it as 90w adapter your good

3 Posts

January 2nd, 2010 12:00

I've already got two chargers and two batteries. I have had this problem on and off for 6 months or more, used to be if I played with it for a while it would work, not any more. Its got to be the connection frm the charger to the battery circiuitry on the motherboard, could be the connectors on the PC or the connection to the mother board or anywhere in between. Someday when I have some spare time (lol) I'll take a look at it.

John

2 Posts

January 5th, 2010 18:00

Did the fix work??

4 Posts

January 6th, 2010 15:00

It is still  not working....what now????  thank you

2 Posts

January 7th, 2010 12:00

I stated this before..I have 2 dell xps m1530 computers.  Same model..both with the same problem.  One computer I fixed by completely disassembling the computer down to the mother board and soldered the joints around the power input due to weak soldering.  On the Dell xps the power port is a separate board that plugs into the motherboard.  Over time one of 2 things happens..the joints become loose around the input or as on my second dell the actual plug in on the motherboard wasnt making connection with the power board.  If you can disassemble without breaking computer you can fix this easily.  I used a very small screwdriver..like an eye glasses screwdriver flathead to pull the connections back out to where the power board would make a better connection.  Both computers had similar problems like I said..one was weak soldering the other was the connection to the motherboard was bad.  You can fix this...save yourself the money and fix it yourself if you have the knowledge to do it.  Its really not hard to do just watch and remember where all the cables went.  you can do it

No Events found!