Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 4th, 2012 08:00

power surge

i was using my laptop connected to internet using an ethernet cable and modem. There was lightning during the time and it possibly created a power surge and laptop turned off with a faint 'tap' sound and not turning on again.  My modem's lan ports are damaged but it is still working from the usb port. My ac adapter and other electrical devices have no problem.

now if i turn on the laptop the LEDs(also LEDs on cd/dvd drive) glow for a second and then turns off.

how much damage is likely? can get the network card replaced or should i replace the entire motherboard?

thank you.

my laptop is inspiron n4010

1.1K Posts

June 4th, 2012 10:00

Hi Seb92,

Welcome to the community.

Since the ac adapter is working fine, I will suggest you to replace the motherboard of your laptop which should fix this issue.

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

First:

Remove the battery, unplug the system and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  Then try powering up again.  If the system won't power up, you're likely in for at least a mainboard.  Unfortunately, until you replace that - which won't be inexpensive - you won't know if anything else (the memory, hard drive, CPU, etc.) was damaged as well.  

5 Posts

i was using my laptop connected to internet using an ethernet cable and modem. There was lightning during the time and it possibly created a power surge and laptop turned off with a faint 'tap' sound and not turning on again.  My modem's lan ports are damaged but it is still working from the usb port. My ac adapter and other electrical devices have no problem.

now if i turn on the laptop the LEDs(also LEDs on cd/dvd drive) glow for a second and then turns off.

how much damage is likely? can get the network card replaced or should i replace the entire motherboard?

thank you.

5 Posts

my laptop is inspiron n4010

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 09:00

seb92,

Does the computer startup? If yes, can you run the Full diagnostics and report back any error messages? How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

• Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

seb92,

Unplug the ac adapter from the computer. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Put the battery back in and try starting the computer.

What happens?

Rick

5 Posts

it does not starup

when power on LEDs glow for second and the system stops.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 11:00

Seb92,

Because of the duplicate posting and the multiple answers, this thread has been merged. Getting advice from many members from different threads can be confusing.

Rick

5 Posts

June 4th, 2012 20:00

thank you all. i am having my mainboard replaced

No Events found!