Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

October 8th, 2006 02:00

"Enter" key broken

Well, my enter key fell out while I was using my laptop today and I can't get it to stay back in properly. I looked at the key replacement wizard on this site and did what it looked like I should do: slide the two metal rods into the metal loops and gently press the key down. I have done this numerous times and the key won't snap in securely. Usually it will click back into place but will still be very wobbely and falls out within minutes.

What can I do? Do I need to get my laptop sent in for repairs; I really don't want to as that would be a big inconvenience.

Thanks

2.4K Posts

October 8th, 2006 04:00

You need to replace the keyboard. Contact Dell if you are still under warranty.

Inspiron E1505
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB/2.00GHz/667MHz)
15.4 Inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WSXGA+
1GB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400
120GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
8X DVD+/-RW Drive
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps)
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0 + EDR)
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Bios A08
pur. Sept. 7 2006

October 8th, 2006 05:00

I am still under warranty, but, I need to replace my entire keyboard just because one key fell out? That's crazy.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 8th, 2006 10:00

The parts for keyboards are not sold separately. Call Dell for a replacement keyboard.

October 21st, 2012 10:00

Not true ... my ENTER on my XPS 1530 wasn't working properly so I took it off and cleaned the hair from under it.

When it was off, tested it in notepad by clicking the button which sits under the key - was working fine so figured didn't need a keyboard.

Then came the problem of getting the key back on.

Not easy, but I did it.

Start by putting the horizontal and vertical clips on the computer.

Then, put the ENTER key down.

Start by clipping the horizontal clip into the top of the key.

At this point, you can still hold it up and see under it.

Next, I noticed that there were 2 possible clip connections for the vertical clip on the keyboard.

You need to use the outer one.

While lowering the key, align the vertical clip with the outer clip connection and lower, moving the vertical clip as much as you can to ensure it's in the right place.

At some point, you gotta just push and hope.

Took me a few attempts, but it's definitely possible

No Events found!