Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2010 18:00

recovering deleted files from recycle bin

hi,

i'm wondering if someone can tell me how i can recover deleted files i have deleted from my recycle bin or when i can find deleted files on my laptop, i am using XP.

Thank you

14.4K Posts

January 9th, 2010 19:00

If the files are still in the recycle bin then they have not be permantly deleted from your system. So right click on the trash can. Select open. A window will pop up with a listing of all files and folders in the bin. select the file or folder you want then right click on it an select restore.

1 Message

April 10th, 2017 23:00

You can often successfully recover deleted files from a PC, or USB memory stick, camera card, phone etc... , it all depends on what has happened since the files were deleted.

When you delete files the data itself isn’t deleted, just the index entry that tells the system where the data for those files is located. The area containing the deleted data is also now marked as free space so it is available for any new files to be written there instead.

If and when that happens, then it is too late to recover your deleted files so it is very, very important to not save any new files or data to the device concerned.

If ther files were on a PC then its VERY important to use another PC to browse the internet for a solution as internet browsing causes lots of temporary files to get written to the disk. Download any file recovery software, for example, to a memory stick, plug that in the computer with the deleted files and run it from there.

If the deleted files are on a camera memory card or USB memory stick, just don’t save any new files to it.

1 Message

July 13th, 2017 01:00

Try googling for a free recovery program. Install it on a different partition, if possible (different than the original location of the deleted files), for not overwriting the data. And don't use the PC until then if you can help it. Any activity could overwrite the deleted file.

No Events found!