Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 13:00

USB Drive not bootable

Hello, before I say anything else, this is only affecting one model that I know of, Dell Latitude 5300, but it is affecting all of the ones I had available to test.

With the latest version of Dell IAX, I made a series of bootable USB drives, these worked great on several systems, laptops and desktops alike, until I tried it on a 5300, it simply will not see it as a bootable device, but it does see it if I try to add a UEFI boot path (though it fails to add it even if I select the proper .efi file). As I did not make the initial round of drives on the 5300, I installed IAX on a 5300 and recreated a bootable drive. Still couldn't boot off of it on the 5300 and other systems could do so without issue.

I update the BIOS after resetting settings to default (and then of course making the appropriate changes like changing Fastboot to Thorough, etc.) and still had issues. I'm honestly scratching my head on this one.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated

August 4th, 2020 11:00

Please disregard
Was able to manually create a UEFI Boot Sequence option pointing to the USB drive (EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi) and that worked. Hope 5300 is the only model affected.

August 5th, 2020 09:00

To update, this also occurred on Optiplex 7070 desktop systems

• 

309 Posts

January 19th, 2021 16:00

@bferguson81 - thank you for sharing the workaround. Our support & dev teams are aware of the issue and are looking into this. I've shared your workaround with others in the forum who are reporting this too.

• 

309 Posts

January 20th, 2021 08:00

@bferguson81 - some BIOS updates recently released appear to resolve this issue. I've tested on both the Lati 5410 & 7410 and after upgrading the BIOS no longer have the issue.

1 Message

June 21st, 2021 10:00

Dell 7210 2-1 with i5 also has same issues, going to try to flash the bios and see if the issue returns

No Events found!