Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DT

• 

309 Posts

September 25th, 2019 09:00

Dell Image Assist – Customize Computer Name

Dell Image Assist provides an option to create a custom name for your Windows PC’s. The “Create Custom Name” option in the Unattend.xml creator allows a static prefix and or suffix to be included along with the Dell Service Tag. The custom name option will always use Service Tag for uniqueness. Windows computer names have a max length of 15 characters and cannot be all numeric. Because some Dell service tags have all numeric values, if custom name is selected and no prefix or suffix are input, the tool will automatically prepend a “D” to prevent an all numeric computer name.

How else can I customize my PC name? Dell Configuration Services, formerly known as CFI (Custom Factory Integration) can provide more custom naming options during the factory imaging process; ask your sales team for more information. For local restores, the PC naming function can be achieved within the Dell Image Assist toolset**.

** Please note: An Image Assist deployment .wim which includes computer naming will overwrite facility applied naming.

Image Assist - List of helpful links & articles

November 5th, 2019 06:00

Working on my own naming convention within the IA form

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

May 12th, 2020 20:00

Hi Tyler,

this is first time I am using Dell ImageAssist, I am impressed with the available tools and I have a problem getting the custom computer name.

At one point I was getting the prefix WS in front of the Service Tag, but something happened and I am only getting that generic WS1234XYZ.

The unattend.xml has:  WSService_Tag

I copy the unatted.xml from C:\Windows\Panther.

To give you the complete picture, after I get my Dell_Captured_Image.wim I use the boot.wim generated by the ImageAssist installed with /deploy as I want to use the WDS.

After importing the boot.wim and the Dell_Captured_Image.wim, I use the unattend.xml together with the Dell_Captured_Image.wim

Two things stopped working, the Custom Computer Name and it doesn't join the domain anymore.

What I am doing wrong?

Thanks a lot!

Roberto

• 

309 Posts

May 13th, 2020 13:00

Hi Robert,

The computer name issue you’re seeing is caused by the image having been restored at some point, into a VM. There is logic in the restore tool to replace the %Service_Tag% variable in the unattend.xml file – with 1234XYZ if it detects the source machine as a VM. This is because VM serial numbers (e.g. service tag) are long values and if used in the unattend.xml for hostname it would cause Windows setup to crash. The fix would be to either manually update your unattend.xml and replace 1234XYZ with Service_Tag or recreate your unattend.xml using the tool.

Note: The install switch you’re using to enable PXE boot.wim integration with WDS is BETA functionality.

Also, reference this article for Troubleshooting domain join failures with Dell Image Assist 

Thanks,

Tyler

2 Posts

May 16th, 2020 09:00

Any recorded ImageAssist webinar available for viewing? I missed last week's webinar.

• 

309 Posts

May 18th, 2020 06:00

@talt - our weekly webinars are not recorded. Please join us for one sometime. Thursdays 9:30-10:30 CST (UTC-06:00) https://www.dell.com/community/ImageAssist/Dell-Configuration-Services-Factory-Imaging-amp-Provisioning/td-p/7386282

Thanks,

TM

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

July 14th, 2020 14:00

Thanks Tyler!
Unfortunately I did not receive a notification for your reply.

You are right, at one point I restored the image into a VM. I created several captures since my post and the computer name got fixed.

I still cannot figure out why it fails the domain. 

The service account and the OU I am using is working for our Lenovo fleet. The service account has right to create an object on that particular OU.

The driver packs for my 3 models are also saved on a shared network drive. This time I also copied them to C:\Out-of-Box Drivers.

I am capturing right now another image using Dell_IAX and let you know. I will still use the Dell PXE boot created with ver.8 as I don't have MDT or SCCM at this point.

One other bug I had was the boot sequence being modified. The SSD is pushed the last one on my boot sequence if I use Dell PXE boot. Since ver.10 doesn't have this option, I guess I have to wait for the new tools.

No Events found!