Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

January 14th, 2020 11:00

Personalization needs Windows Activation

I have created an image in the past with Dell Image Assist and was able to change the personalization options like theme, start menu etc. Now when I am doing it with a new 1909 image in VirtualBox I am greeted by a message "You need to activate Windows before you can personalize your PC"

Does anyone know how I can edit the theme, and start menu etc. without activating, or what I should be doing? Thank you in advance.

@DELL-Tyler M 

• 

300 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 07:00

@SinghSpano 

edited: 8/12/2020

After further testing, we've seen VMWare allows for personalization after installing W10 Pro via the MCT download but not possible with Hyper-V. See this article for more information.

If your build base is VMWare and personalization is not available, it's possible the grace period or internet connectivity caused expiration. After that occurs, activation using a valid Windows 10 key would be required to personalize. To work around that, rebuild, customize & take a snapshot of your VM before it's been running for extended period of time (not sure on the time limit). You can revert back to that snapshot with continued personalization capability for subsequent revision updates.

No Events found!