Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 5th, 2021 17:00

ACC - won't start

Hi folks,

My Alienware Control Center won't load. When I try to run it it just opens the screen but then it keep spinning. I already followed the Youtube video by Dell to uninstall/reinstall but no luck.

I see posts regarding similar issues but they appear to be 6 plus months old. My version of ACC is the latest, released June 17, 2021. Any ideas of how to fix?

Thanks in advance - jg1234

I am running Windows 10, 64bit. My machine is a G5 gaming system.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 7th, 2021 13:00

@jg1234  Start by uninstalling both ACC and AWOC with Revo, as I suggested.

After you re-boot, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator. At the prompt, type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let sfc run and -hopefully- it will say "no errors" or "successfully fixed..." when it's done.

Now, download and install the latest versions of ACC and AWOC...

70 Posts

July 6th, 2021 10:00

Thanks. This is the only information I have regarding model number. Hopefully this helps? Note sure if you are asking for service tag?

• Dell G5 Desktop - Item # - 210-AVPE
  • 10th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700KF processor(8-Core, 16M Cache, 3.8GHz to 5.1GHz)
  • 500W Chassis with Bezel and Internal Lighting + Clear Door
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6 
  • Windows 10 Home 64bit English 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 6th, 2021 10:00

Post the exact model number of your G5 computer so users here can help.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 6th, 2021 11:00

Just go to the Support page and enter your Service Tag. It will tell you the exact G5 model number, 5000 or 5090.

Don't post the Service Tag here.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

See if any of the ACC links here can help...

70 Posts

Thanks!

I have the 5000 model

70 Posts

July 6th, 2021 13:00

Thanks Ron. I will try that and see if I find anything,

I am actually thinking of resetting my system factory condition so that may help. In looking at the links you sent briefly it looks like I updated to the ACC June 2012 version correctly so I am not sure if I did something incorrect or not?

Thanks again for the help! - jg1234

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 6th, 2021 16:00

@jg1234  - You might try using Revo Uninstaller (free) to uninstall ACC because Revo should get rid of any leftover files that might affect ACC when you install the latest version (again).

If you reset to the factory image, be sure to back up all your personal files etc on external media first. And have all the product keys for anything you need to reinstall. But keep in mind the factory image will likely install an old version of ACC and you might run into the same issues again while trying to install the latest version...

I'll see if I can get one of my Dell tech contacts and/or other Rockstars who have lots of experience with ACC to respond to this thread...

70 Posts

July 6th, 2021 17:00

Thank you Ron! I really appreciate that!!

6 Professor

• 

6.4K Posts

July 6th, 2021 18:00

There are actually 2 parts to AWCC.

1 part is AWCC, the other part is AWOC

AWCC = Alienware-Command-Center-Application

AWOC = Alienware-OC-Controls-Application

Those are 2 separate downloads. (Why?) Normally, when you run a newly installed version of AWCC, it will pop up a Windows 10 notification to tell you that it needs to load a service to function properly. That service is AWOC.

I have found using error and trial that the best way to deal with AWCC issues is to uninstall both AWCC and AWOC from the program files, reboot, followed by a reinstall of both the latest version and another reboot.

Then open up AWCC, wait until it installed the AWOC service, and hopefully it will work properly. (Roughly 90% chance).

70 Posts

July 6th, 2021 19:00

Thank you Vanadiel!

Since I may reset to factory settings, I will, as has been suggested, probably need to update my Alienware programs at some point so this is helpful information.

What I think originally happened to me was that I used the My Dell program on my machine and I believe it offered me the chance to update the AWCC and AWOC (at least I think that was the case) and after I let the My Dell program do it's stuff, it told me to restart my PC which I did, but then I couldn't launch Alienware.

I was told to try to uninstall the AWCC and AWOC using a program called Revo and then install the updates I wanted. That leads me to believe that if I want to update Ailenware in the future, I have to first uninstall the existing Alienware Programs I have and manually download and install what I need. Does that sound right you think?

I also noticed a program called "Alienware CC Components for AWCC (1.1.22.0)" on my system which was installed from the factory and was not touched when the other Alienware programs/drivers were updated. I am wondering if I will have to delete that too?

Just thinking of the best way in the future to avoid any issues.

Thanks again! - I really appreciate everyone's help here. I like the Dell G5 gaming system I have - just want to learn how to use and enjoy it more!-

Cheers - jg1234

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 7th, 2021 09:00

@jg1234@Vanadiel has given you some good instructions, beyond what I could have ever offered.

We know from past experience that the cleanest way to update Dell's SupportAssist is to use Revo Uninstaller first to remove the old version, and never just install the new version "on top". That's why I suggested using Revo for your ACC issues.

Hopefully, you'll get ACC sorted soon...

70 Posts

July 7th, 2021 12:00

Good points Ron.

I appreciate your help with this. Thank you all again! - jg1234

70 Posts

July 7th, 2021 13:00

Thanks Ron and everyone else. I am going to try this first thing tomorrow morning. Appreciate all the patience and support!!

Cheers - jg1234

70 Posts

July 13th, 2021 05:00

Sorry for the delay in getting back. 

Ron, your solution below worked. Thank you so much for your help. Also, thank everyone else on this thread. I really learned a lot and appreciate all this support!!!

-jg1234

"Start by uninstalling both ACC and AWOC with Revo, as I suggested.

After you re-boot, open a CMD prompt window, Run as administrator. At the prompt, type in sfc /scannow and press Enter. Let sfc run and -hopefully- it will say "no errors" or "successfully fixed..." when it's done.

Now, download and install the latest versions of ACC and AWOC..."

No Events found!