Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2021 08:00

Does "Legacy" BIOS work with MBR?

Hi, I have an Inspiron 3650. I need to convert my (2) GPT Disks to MBR. Will that work with "UEFI" or "Legacy"? (BIOS?) I'd rather keep UEFI. But I read MBR only works with BIOS. (Not UEFI.) So I'm guessing Legacy means BIOS. (Not UEFI.) I've used Legacy when I have to boot from USB. Or at least to create the option to boot for UEFI. I think I originally had my Disks at MBR. So what should I use before converting GPT to MBR? Please reply. Thanks

EDIT: I'm trying to convert my SSD and HD to Dynamic. (From Basic.) I'm getting the error:

"The selected GPT formatted Disk contains a partition which is not of type 'Partition_Basic_Data_GUID' and is both preceeded and followed by a partition of type 'Partition_Basic_Data-Guid'."

I think I need to convert GPT to MBR. Is there another way? I'm using Windows Disk Management. Is there any third-party software? I have Aomei Partition Assistant. Thanks again

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

January 9th, 2021 09:00

Partition method is independent of bios flavor.  In Windows 10 disk mgmt (booted from either legacy bios or uefi) you can partition hdd to gpt or mbr.  mbr can only partition hdd < 2TB.

If you repartition hdd to new method, you lose all data (but hdd is not wiped). after new partition you need to format disk.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 11th, 2021 19:00

I think your answer is here.

(Search is your friend.  )

51 Posts

January 9th, 2021 14:00

Thanks for your reply. I don't need more than 2TB. And I don't need 128 volumes like GPT. MBR will work. I have (1) Samsung SSD (boot), (1) Western Digital 1TB (data) and added a second identical Samsung SSD for RAID 1. Total of 1.8TB. I don't need any more disks. I need to convert to Dynamic so I can implement RAID. Also, can anyone check my Specs on a Dell Inspiron 3650 to see if it works with RAID? I don't see an option in the BIOS. Just AHCI. I don't know where to look. On Dell's website. I will try converting to MBR without losing Data (using Aomei Partition Assistant.) And report back. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 9th, 2021 16:00

LEGACY Booting is no longer supported past 2016 SKYLAKE.

32 BIT OS and Drivers are no longer supported by anyone.

64 BIT windows 10 or Linux in UEFI mode is the only thing supported going forward. There is zero support for 7 or earlier or Linux 32 bit MBR GRUB from Microsoft or canonical or Dell etc.

This means ancient Linux that uses GRUB/MSDOS MBR booting is also not supported.

CSM with MBR legacy booting is gone as is support for windows 7.

The good news is that the Current UBUNTU works on current systems as well as ancient ones.

Optiplex GX390 GX620, 745, 755, 760, 780, 790, 960, 980,990 all work fine from MSDOS all the way thru Windows 10.

3010 3020 7010 7020 9010 9020 also work fine. These are the last units that will boot and RUN XP VISTA 7 MBR Legacy .

Skylake architecture The 6th generation Intel Core microarchitecture

Support for Windows 7 has ended After 10 years, support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020

Game over, request denied by all vendors forever regardless of os.

NOTE: This situation applies to any system from the Kaby lake 7th generation and forward and is not limited to Any systems from any vendor.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-za/000151899/no-boot-device-found-when-you-change-the-boot-sequence-to-legacy-mode

51 Posts

January 9th, 2021 19:00

Thanks for the update. Yes, my PC is a Skylake i7-6700. My Dell PC came with Windows 10. Early 2016. I tried booting Legacy and it does say "No boot device found." I'll remember that. It still works with booting USB's. Or creating the option to boot USB's and switch back to UEFI. Does anyone know for sure that my Inspiron 3650 has RAID? I'd like to know that before I convert to MBR. Do I need to purchase Hardware for RAID? Thanks again

51 Posts

January 11th, 2021 17:00

Me again...How do I find if my Inspiron 3650 has RAID? There's no option in BIOS (UEFI.) Just AHCI. I searched and I think it might not have it. Intel Rapid Storage Technology? Please reply. Thanks

51 Posts

January 12th, 2021 09:00

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find it anywhere. It looks like I need a Controller Card. I will look into buying one. This thread is solved.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2021 11:00

You're welcome.

I don't know the answers but consider these questions:

1. If BIOS is set to AHCI, how is it going know to look for the second drive in a RAID array on the card?

2. Are you going to be able to boot the PC if you're using an add-in RAID controller card with both drives connected to it and none directly connected to the motherboard?

Maybe you'd be better off not using RAID, and setting up a software approach. Get software (free or paid) that loads at boot and runs in the background to automatically mirror the boot drive on a secondary internal drive, or on an external USB drive or NAS. This way you wouldn't have to mess with RAID configs, converting GPT to MBR etc etc etc...

And don't use RAID0. Too risky because if you lose one HDD, you'll likely lose everything...

No Events found!