Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 7th, 2018 19:00

Fans in my Inspiron 546 are racing

Actually, this all started one morning a little over a week ago,  My computer would't boot had nothing but a steady yellow light, The consensus said it might be the power supply but more likely a component in the motherboard went bad., I've had my unit for 9 years, so i'm not surprised that something is breaking down, Anyhow, I tested all the voltages on the power supply & they checked out ok, Next i bought a motherboard from Dell got it a day ago and installed it and still I have nothing but the steady yellow light,  I can't suspect he motherboard because I have to believe that Dell sold me a good board, so I opted to check the power supply again & disconnected he power supply cables from all destinations. and again it checked out good, so I reconnected all of the cables & wires to their proper destinations and turned the unit on again., Still have he steady yellow light land now the fans on the heat sink & the fan mounted to the back are racing, The power supply fan is running normal speed., The only way can shut them off is by pulling the plug our of the power supply. The only other time I had fans speed up is when we have house power failures and all I did in that case was to shut the power off to the computer and right away turned it back on and the computer ran normal.

What's happening? What do i do next since i have go assume the motherboard is good  and the power supply checks out ok, and why are the fans racing,.

41 Posts

March 19th, 2018 11:00

OK, got the new power supply, installed it and the speeding fan issue is solved, so I guess the switch in the old power supply went bad.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 19th, 2018 14:00

Glad the new PSU solved the problem. More likely the PSU itself failed, not just the switch, but at least it's fixed now.

:Yes:  :Yes:

Please mark this thread as Answered - thank you.

41 Posts

March 19th, 2018 15:00

What was solved with the new power supply was the racing fans which is another post. Yes, I did all of what you suggested and more than once. Only thing left now is the hard drive or I got a defective motherboard which is refurbished. So, how can I check that without spending any money. I'm in for $150 so far.

41 Posts

I don't think I ever mentioned that when I turn the unit on I do get a couple of those buzzes that go along with the unit booting. But that's all. Don't know if that helps.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

And I thought your problems were solved after you replaced the power supply...  :TongueTied:

You've replaced the motherboard and CPU, so unless you're really unlucky, there isn't much left to test.

Are you using onboard video or an add-in video card? If using an add-in video card, physically remove it and switch over to one of the onboard video ports. If using onboard video now, do you have PCI-e x16 video card you can test?

Have you stripped it down to bare essentials? Disconnect all drives, except boot drive, removed all PCI cards, except video (but see above), removed all RAM except the one in slot 1? Then clear BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery.

Examine all USB ports with a flashlight to see if any of them is damaged or shorted.

41 Posts

March 19th, 2018 17:00

Actually, only the racing  fans issued is solved. The new power supply solved that issue but the computer is still to operational. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 20th, 2018 10:00

No, you never mentioned getting "buzzes" when booting. Are they buzzes or beeps?

Beep codes come in a diagnostic pattern, that usually repeats, so count them and look up the error code on page 29, here.

I guess it's possible the replacement board or replacement CPU is faulty, but since you're getting the same symptoms as you got with the old ones, that would be a very unlucky coincidence.

Strip the motherboard down completely. Disconnect everything, except CPU fan, and remove all cards and RAM. Reset BIOS by pulling the battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery and power on. You should get 2 beeps, meaning no RAM detected. If no beeps, the motherboard is likely bad....

41 Posts

March 20th, 2018 13:00

I did that test and got no beeps. I contacted Dell and am sending the board back for replacement. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 20th, 2018 17:00

Geez, I guess you are unlucky.

Hope the new board solves the problem. Post back and let us know what happens...

41 Posts

March 22nd, 2018 14:00

Got the replacement motherboard today and there is no change, still got steady amber/yellow light. Only thing left is the hard drive and consensus says that it shouldn't cause the problem. Possible cable  problem, but what. I'm going to ask what is probably a stupid question but here goes. Should everything be hooked up to the computer? My computer is open with nothing hooked up and I just plug it in and turn it on. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2018 14:00

Can I assume you installed a known working CPU and heatsink+fan, and connected the front panel to the motherboard... ?

Do you see a (yellow) LED on the motherboard when the PC is connected to a working outlet, even if the PC is off?

You don't need the hard or optical drive, but I'd put in one RAM module in Slot 1, and the video card. And then reset BIOS by removing the battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery to make sure BIOS sees the hardware correctly. Then connect monitor, mouse and keyboard and see what happens

Without the hard drive you should get a "no bootable drive found" or similar message, but at least that gets you beyond "not booting".

Did you examine all the USB ports from the outside with a flashlight for any damage? A shorted USB port might cause this type of problem.

And now there's the question of whether the I/O circuit board in the front panel has failed...

Is it time to call it quits..?? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 23rd, 2018 06:00

Solid Amber power button is Dead CPU/Motherboard.

NON EPS12v  80 percent efficient power supplies WILL NOT WORK and will present with this issue.

Its also possible that the "new" power supply fried the cpu.

41 Posts

March 25th, 2018 15:00

I gave in and took my computer to a repair shop. I have my fingers dressed and tried to protect myself to come extent by asking only for an analysis for a fixed fee rather than a carte blanche "fix it". We are already at odds about what direction a cpu fan should be blowing,

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 26th, 2018 10:00

41 Posts

March 27th, 2018 12:00

JUST GOT MY COMPUTER BACK FROM THE SHOP AND APPARENTLY, I AM DEALING WITH ANOTHER BAD REFURBISHED DELL MOTHERBOARD. C'MON DELL WHAT'S GOING ON?

No Events found!