Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 24th, 2019 19:00

Forum changes, cannot find Precision?

Just logged back into Dell forums after couple of years.  I am noticing that DELL has  removed  the  "categories"  for  older  Desktops  (that are less than 7 years old).   I  was considering  purchase of  a  Dell  Precision  T1700   used  item  from  local  craigslist  ads.   But  this lack of  community  support  for older models (that were sold by dell in 2014)   makes  me  question   DELL  as  a viable   option for my  future purchases.  I have been using dell for  decades,  and  this  community  support has been one of the strong reasons for my continued  purchases of  Dell  PCs.   Now,  i  do not  see a  separate  category  for  Precision,  when i navigate  the community area.  Why  this  stupid  decision  by  DELL  to  cut out the  free support  people can get from  community ?  All the older  models  topics  have been relegated  to  "READ only" mode.    

I predict that the general  area  of the new forums  are going to be inundated with questions  from  people who bought  DELL  5 years ago, and  want  answers.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 24th, 2019 20:00

Precision Workstations are here.

* Go here
* Open "All Categories". Look for Workstations

Capture.JPG

The Read-Only forums are only due to a forum software-platform change a while back (but they wanted to keep the useful-posts/history, etc.)

Welcome back :Smile:

February 24th, 2019 20:00

Thanks rockstar for that fast reply.  Will post my question in the section you pointed to....Check it out too :-)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 25th, 2019 06:00

All the data is still there.  They don't "support" most systems that are over 5 years old.   There isn't anything special about older systems but windows 10 is not supported on them.  This does not mean not working just not supported.    2006 Optiplex GX620 towers work fine with windows 10 but they are not supported.

They still have the

http://downloads.dell.com/published/Pages/index.html

Which leads to

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/precision-t1700-workstation.html

Systems earlier than 2006 are not there because XP is also end of life end of support.  XP works on models as new as the 7010 I believe.

Newer systems WILL NOT SUPPORT 32 BIT OS of any kind.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln79718/obtaining-the-driver-cab-file-for-operating-system-deployment-to-latitude-optiplex-and-precision-workstation-systems?lang=en

CAB Files And How They Are Utilized

A Cabinet (.cab) File is a compressed file that contains other distribution files, such as drivers and system files. Typically, you will utilize the Dell Driver CAB file in the process of using the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) to deploy Windows operating system images to several client systems. There are two sources for obtaining the CAB file for operating system deployment to Latitude, OptiPlex and Precision Workstation systems. Follow the instructions below to obtain these files.

Current CAB files are available for Dell client systems running Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln312414

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 25th, 2019 11:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I will try my best to assist you. If the system in question here is a Precision, I can move your post to the correct board.

February 25th, 2019 15:00

@SreejithR ,

Please leave the thread in the general  topics area,  because  of the nature of  the  original post.  It is likely that others  will  come here searching for it,  and find it.  (Obviously, they could not find  Precision  related thread,  just like how i could not easily locate  it by navigating the  top level of  Dell community forum). 

Perhaps  Dell should include the names of  older systems (like  Precision)  in their top level hierarchy  for  navigation purposes.   This  thread is a result of  that lack  of  proper  UI  at  top level of  Community forum. There can be a simple drop down box there,  that lists all the  different  DELL systems going back to 20 years, and link them from there to  appropriate  forums.  I hope someone  who works for  Dell  management  is  reading these forums.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 25th, 2019 20:00

@done with it wrote:
to create recovery disk, it would run for a couple hrs and then give me message that file could not be created, ran again 3 more times, same thing. 

You have to use a 32gb flash drive now or it won't fit.

Yeah, Microsoft needs to fix that message (that a 16gb one will work now-days is apparently incorrect). 

February 26th, 2019 11:00

Why  are  you guys  deleting messages  now  and changing  the  original  title  that was created by me for this thread ?   The message posted by  "done-with-it"   has been deleted,  as well as my  reply to him (in this thread).  The  title  of  this  thread  that was created by me has been changed  without   consulting me.    Just  being  a  moderator  does  not  give you  the right  to  start  acting  like a  communist  country  dictator and doing  things to  free speech here.    Whoever  did this  needs  to be  reprimanded by  DELL.    Being  a  moderator  is a  privilege,  but  use that  privilege  properly and sensibly.   That  message  posted by  "done-with-it"  did not have  any  offending  words  and neither  did i post any offending words.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 26th, 2019 12:00

You should first review the Forum Terms of Use which details what we are permitted to do on this Dell funded Forum.

The other user should have started his own thread. His repeated attempts at using profanity were why his post was moved. He has been asked to start his own thread and to not use profanity. We can also see on the back end that none of your post/replies were deleted? So not sure what you meant by that assertion. Your original question was concerning not being able to find the Precision Workstation boards. Thus, the title change. If you want it changed to something else, let me know.

February 26th, 2019 14:00

OK.  sounds good.  I am sure i typed a long reply,  considering the rant of  "done-with-it"  and  perhaps it got moved  or deleted when his message was  moved.   Never mind  that,  since  he  seems to have been tagged for  bad  behavior  :-)    Thanks for your  explanation.   The purpose of this thread is served, and concluded. 

No Events found!