Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2020 09:00

Inspiron 23 5348 no power w/ blinking amber LED

Good day all!

Have a bit of problem with an Inspiron 23 AIO 5348; when I press the power button, all I have to greet me is the power LED blinking amber 2-1 over and over again...no sign of life otherwise. I'm a bit confused because all I seem to be able to locate is the diagnostic LED amber blink codes for consecutive blinks ( i.e. 1, 2,3,4,5, etc ), however, mine is rather distinct 2-1 blink pattern. Would i be incorrect in this assumption, or would I treat this as "3 blinks" of the LED?

Most Gracious THANKS in advance for any and all pertinent info!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 25th, 2020 11:00

Don't see a 2-1 blink code for this model either.  I'd be more inclined to think of it as a 1-blink error code plus a 2-blink error code, not a 3-blink code.

Try this for starters:

1. Power off
  2. Disconnect power cord from wall
  3. Disconnect power cord rear of PC
  4. Disconnect all peripherals from PC
  5. Press/hold power button on PC for ~30 sec
  6. Reconnect only mouse and keyboard
  7. Reconnect power cord to rear of PC
  8. Reconnect power cord to wall*
  9. Boot...

*NOTE: If using a power strip or surge protector, remove those and connect PC directly to the wall outlet. 

Does that help?

How old is your PC? (Dell supports Win XP, Win 7, Win 8.1 and Win 10 on it.) So the next question is when was last time the motherboard battery was replaced?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 25th, 2020 12:00

@dbtk44 wrote:

CMOS battery it was Ron, Sincere thanks for the suggestion! The system is now up and running, much to my surprise.

Apparently these newer AIO's are quite finicky regarding the CMOS battery....I've worked on many, many older Dell AIO's, and never encountered a complete failure to power up due to a bad CMOS battery! Live and learn I guess..

Again, Sincere Thanks!

You're welcome. Glad it's working again...

1. Oh ye of little faith! When in doubt, start  by replacing  the motherboard battery.  
  2. You've been lucky, so please re-read #1

2 Posts

February 25th, 2020 12:00

CMOS battery it was Ron, Sincere thanks for the suggestion! The system is now up and running, much to my surprise.

Apparently these newer AIO's are quite finicky regarding the CMOS battery....I've worked on many, many older Dell AIO's, and never encountered a complete failure to power up due to a bad CMOS battery! Live and learn I guess..

Again, Sincere Thanks!

July 14th, 2020 15:00

Hi, The same thing happened to me. Mine is blinking 2 times and then 3. It says to disconnect from back of pc and from wall so I did. I also changed the CMOS battery because someone suggested it but nothing. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 14th, 2020 15:00

@Mpizarro1981 wrote:

Hi, The same thing happened to me. Mine is blinking 2 times and then 3. It says to disconnect from back of pc and from wall so I did. I also changed the CMOS battery because someone suggested it but nothing. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks.

Always include exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Where did you read that 2-3 says to disconnect from back of PC...?

Was PC unplugged and did you press/hold power button for ~30 sec after removing the old battery, before installing the fresh one?

July 14th, 2020 16:00

Thank you. I have a Dell 23 5348 AIO running Windows 10. I changed the CMOS battery but did not hold the power button for 30 secs before installing the new one.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

@Mpizarro1981  - Remove the new battery, press/hold power button for 30 sec and then reinstall the battery. See if that helps.

You didn't say where you read what the 2-3 blink code means.

Sorry, I misinterpreted what you replied at the beginning of this discussion...to the other member.

July 14th, 2020 18:00

@RoHe Took out the battery, pressed the power button for 30 secs and that did not work.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2020 11:00

@Mpizarro1981 

Have you read How to Use and Troubleshoot the Inspiron 5348 ?

By chance did you leave a disk in the optical drive or an SD card in the card reader?

Is the PSU LED on back of PC on? What happens when you press the PSU self-test button next to that LED?

Did you remove surge protector and/or power strip, if used, and plug PC directly into a wall outlet?

Did you disconnect all external devices, game controllers, external monitors, speakers, etc?

Try reseating RAM modules in slots and all cable connections to the motherboard. If a mini-card is installed, try reseating or removing the card, and disconnect optical drive power cable from motherboard for troubleshooting.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 15th, 2020 15:00

The LED stays green when you press the BIST button?

Did you reseat the RAM modules and all the motherboard cable connections?

If the PC is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support. Have Service Tag handy. If not under warranty, you could contact Dell Out Of Warranty Repair for an estimate to fix it....

July 15th, 2020 15:00

• @RoHe I tried everything that you posted and no success. Nothing connected, I connected it straight to the wall outlet. The LED is green constantly on. If I press the button nothing happens. 
No Events found!