Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

24 Posts

July 14th, 2021 13:00

Inspiron 2330 Buzzing Sound when HDMI is in use

For some odd reason, when I switch my Inspiron 2330 to HDMI to plug in my laptop or games console, it makes a annoying buzzing noise that doesn't go away even if I turn down the volume. I have tried switching power cables and it didn't fix it. If there is a loose ground how do I tighten it inside of the machine so it goes away? 

• 

25.2K Posts

July 15th, 2021 07:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2021 13:00

That sounds like a "ground loop hum" problem.  Musicians face tis with two AC powered devices connected together.

There are audio devices to eliminate it, but nothing for an HDMI signal.  On the laptop that you are connecting, only run it on internal battery, with the AC power adapter disconnected,  and see if the hum goes away.

July 15th, 2021 16:00

Unfortunately running on battery and no AC adapter didn't fix the issue. I can hear the hum even if the volume is turned all the way down. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 16th, 2021 06:00

It still sounds like a "ground loop" problem (difference in AC power ground between two devices).  If the internal speaker or external speakers are OK with the regular audio jacks, it goes back to a most likely ground loop problem.  For testing connect the audio only from the "Audio Out" port of the 2330 to an "Audio In" on one of the other devices and see if you hear hum.  

July 16th, 2021 08:00

Well if I plug in  headphones there is no hum at least on windows. It’s basically when I switch to HDMI then an input is received. When on HDMI and nothing plugged in there is no hum. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 16th, 2021 13:00

That would sort of confirm a ground loop hum.  I'm not sure how to progress with HDMI.  I work on guitar amps and accessories and can attack that, but HDMI. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

July 16th, 2021 15:00

Yea tried others same issue. 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 17th, 2021 03:00

For testing only.   If the AC power cord has the 3 prong plug, get an adapter that does not have the ground conductor (ground lift) and see if that eliminates the buzz.  If it does that proves its the ground loop hum.

If your AC power cord is just a two conductor plug, use an adapter so you can reverse plugging into the AC power receptacle.  If that fixes it, could be the AC power receptacle is wired wrong.

July 17th, 2021 17:00

I have the three prong plug but I don't have a ground lift plug. However, I found out that if I plug my computer in certain spots of my house, I get the buzzing on HDMI and it doesn't go away. However, in one spot of my house, I get buzzing on HDMI rarely but most of the time there is no buzzing and it goes away shortly. Considering I have a three prong plug, what could this indicate? 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 18th, 2021 03:00

That suggests a possible grounding problem in the house wiring,  Possibly even hot and  neutral wires reversed somewhere.

No Events found!