Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 6th, 2018 12:00

Inspiron 24-3455 AIO, not accepting power supply?

Hi,

I recently purchased a used Dell Inspiron 24 3455 without the power supply.

I purchased a 3rd party power supply advertizing that it was for this computer. However, when I turn the computer on I get a message saying that Dell doesn't recognize the power supply. It then suggests to get a Dell power supply of at least 65 watts. It then offers to hit F1 to shut the computer off.

Everything on the power supply indicates that it is what the specs for this computer requires. So, why am I having this issue. Is there a way to get it to work without having to purchase another power supply?

Thanks,

John

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 6th, 2018 16:00

PCs can be fussy about their power supply because it has to be recognized by BIOS in order for it to work.

If this is an inexpensive knock-off, then the claimed specs may not equal the reality of its performance. Or possibly you just got a DOA.

You might want to  return it since it doesn't work as advertised, and order an authentic Dell OEM power supply.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 7th, 2018 04:00

Thank you for your message. This system is available with integrated & discrete graphics, the integrated card uses a 65W adapter & the discrete use a 90W adapter.

Many 3rd party adapters might show the same wattage but does not supply the ampere required.

Please check the status of the AC adapter status in BIOS to see if the AC adapter is detected. Does it show as plugged in?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 7th, 2018 11:00

Hang on a nano-sec...

You said you recently purchased this PC. Do you know it actually works or -sorry to ask- did somebody just unload a brick on you?

And where is the original OEM Dell PSU that originally came with it?

Sounding a bit iffy to me...

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 7th, 2018 11:00

It appears to be integrated graphics since the monitor is attached to the motherboard.

I cannot get into the BIOS to do anything, it goes straight to the message to hit the F1 key to shut it down.

Looks like I'll have to get an OEM power supply, should have done that in the first place.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 7th, 2018 12:00

You can check with an alternate adapter. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 7th, 2018 15:00

It was sold for parts for $40 without the original PSU.

The person was older and seemed not to know much about anything especially computers.

I figured that it would be worth at least a less than $10 3rd party power supply to see what I got for my money.

There is no physical damage to the computer both inside and out. 

They said that they never used it and would rather have the money. I thought it affordable.

My guess is that it works fine, but time will tell.

I will get an OEM power supply to see what I have.

If I could get into the BIOS with this power supply that would be a great start.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 7th, 2018 17:00

So how long has this thing been sitting around, unplugged?

It's entirely possible the motherboard battery died and that's contributing to the problems. So maybe you should consider replacing that battery (~$2.00). Check the Service Manual for instructions, keeping in mind that working inside an AIO is not as simple as working in a desktop PC.

I guess the thing to do first might be to try an OEM PSU and if that doesn't help...

Post back and let us know how it goes.

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 8th, 2018 20:00

Thanks for the suggestion, never thought of it. I did try it changing the BIOS battery and ended up with the same results.

Seems to be the power supply.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 9th, 2018 10:00

Too bad replacing the motherboard battery didn't help. At least you've ruled the battery out now.

Guess it's time to try an OEM PSU...

(I like pointing out the obvious! :Wink: )

1 Rookie

• 

22 Posts

November 30th, 2018 07:00

Thank you for pointing out the obvious! That is always a diamond for me!

Now, my question is will it hurt getting a 90 OEM Dell power supply, same voltage 19.5 but 4.62A instead of the 3.4A the 60W Power supply has?

The labeling on the Dell PC says 60W 3.44A for the power supply.

I've heard that the wattage doesn't matter that much as long as it isn't to weak (less than required), if more it will just not use it. However, the Amperage is where my concern lies. The 90W is a bit stronger here.

Also, for some reason the 90W is $10 bucks cheaper so if it doesn't make a difference then I would prefer saving the $10 bucks.

Is this an OK choice or should I pay the extra $10 for the right (lower) Amperage? 

Thanks,

John

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 30th, 2018 12:00

Well, it should be obvious by now that the PC recognizes what PSU is connected. So the one with higher amps may -or not- be recognized as acceptable.

And I have no idea if you connect that bigger one whether it will fry the PC before it even has a chance to say it doesn't like the new PSU...

2 Posts

September 8th, 2021 20:00

I had the same problem about a year ago. I replaced Power adapter with an ONN. Didn't work. Bought one for dell online. Been working for six months and again having problem A 0 W power not 65 W to cut message short.

Not sure what the problem is but it makes into test once in a while but still don't start.

Bill

90w ONN doesn't work either.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 10th, 2021 00:00

@Johnz414  yes you can use 90w power supply. Machine will take only what it needs from it. 

Please make a note that this issue is not as simple as it looks. 

The error message of "Unsupported power supply/AC adapter type can not be determined" usually ends up in Motherboard replacement. 8/10 times in my case, (as a sys admin I have had over 3000 machines in last 15 years) 

May be that's the reason the machine was available for sale without power adapter. 

I hope that power adapter works for you, Best of Luck . 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

September 10th, 2021 11:00

Why are people responding to a thread that's 3 years old?

@KAMCOBILL What PC model do you have...?

2 Posts

September 10th, 2021 19:00

OKAY SORRY.  I won't leave info on how I fixed the problem then.

No Events found!