Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 21st, 2022 20:00

Inspiron 24-3455 won't boot image on usb drive

Won't boot so I created a bootable usb following the instructions. The instructions are incorrect though and this option doesn't show up:

At the Dell logo screen, tap the F12 key until you see the Preparing one time boot menu in the top-right corner of the screen.

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2022 18:00

I used the Dell support tool to create the image on the usb drive. Since that was done connected via a hub, I tried redoing it connected directly to the other pc. It created the ISO image much quicker, but still no option to boot from usb. I had already tried the legacy non-uefi boot option in the BIOS but it made no difference.

Somehow I did find a way to select the usb (though it was labelled as "dvd" with the usb's name!) but still the "install" option reported there was no bootable source. So I tried again and this time I tried using the "custom install" option and it started to install. It stuck on "getting ready" for about an hour, and then went through all the other ridiculous Microsoft delays (please wait, almost there etc) but eventually reached the account set up stage.

So far it seems to be working fine.....

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

March 22nd, 2022 10:00

If you don't see the option of booting from the flash drive, the system does not see it as bootable.

This system is new enough that it requires UEFI boot -- meaning whatever media you've created must be UEFI-bootable.

12 Posts

March 22nd, 2022 11:00

@ejn63  Thank you. I followed the Dell instructions for this machine to configure the usb drive so I assume the downloaded W10 image is correct. Do you think it's the usb drive itself that isn't UEFI bootable? I wasn't aware that there were UEFI drives. Is there a way to verify the compatibility of the usb stick??

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2022 12:00

Did you look in BIOS setup to see if there's an option to enable USB booting? (The online service manual don't list BIOS options, so I don't know.)

Are you plugging that USB into PC with power fully off? Then powering on and tapping F12...

What size USB are you using?  Did you use the Windows Media Creation Tool (Win 10)  to prepare the bootable USB?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2022 12:00

If you have the Windows 10 ISO, use Rufus to create UEFI-bootable USB flash drive.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2022 10:00

Glad you got it working.

Next time, if there is a next, use the Media Creation Tool at the Microsoft site. Dell's OS option is likely way out of date...

No Events found!