Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

4 Posts

June 22nd, 2018 11:00

Inspiron 24-3459, Screen goes black

I purchased an Inspiron all in one 24 - 3459 in 9/2017. Recently, I have started to see my screen go black for one or two seconds.  It has started to happen frequently.  I have searched the forums and tried several of the fixes suggested, but to no avail.  What can I do now to resolve this other than attempting a factory reset?  Any help you can provide is appreciated.  This is very annoying.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 17:00

Always helps to say what you tried and to mention the version of Windows... :Wink:

Have you updated the video drivers?

4 Posts

July 4th, 2018 09:00

I have windows 10 home

My system is 64-bit

Intel(R) Core(TM) i36100U CPU @ 2.30ghz

The last thing I did was to restore my system to the point where it was when first purchased it. I have not installed any other updates and the problem is occurring again.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 4th, 2018 10:00

Hard to know if this is software or hardware...

Reboot and immediately  press F12. Look for the option to run the Diagnostics and run all of them, including the extended hard drive tests. Copy down error message(s), if any...

Since you should still be within the 1-year warranty, contact Dell Tech Support ASAP and let them assist you. Have the Service Tag available when you contact them.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 4th, 2018 10:00

And back up your personal files on external media ASAP, if you haven't already done that. :Idea:

4 Posts

July 8th, 2018 08:00

Backup taken, contacting dell per your recommendation.  Fingers crossed!  Appreciate the quick response!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 8th, 2018 18:00

Please post back after you contact Tech Support and let us know what they do to fix this problem.

Your experience can help other users with the same issue...

4 Posts

July 28th, 2018 15:00

Sorry I did not provide an update earlier. 

Prior to contacting tech support, I stumbled across a post which indicated that out of date Symantec antivirus software might cause screen flickering. 

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v109267913_EndUserProfile_en_us

Although I did not do the steps they described in the article, I decided to uninstall and reinstall Symantec antivirus, then install any necessary updates using LiveUpdate.  It's been about 10 days and screen has not flickered at all!  I have my fingers crossed that the problem does not return.

Thanks! 

No Events found!