Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 26th, 2018 11:00

Inspiron 27-7775 AIO, Bluetooth gone from device manager

We have two Inspiron 7775's and Bluetooth has stopped working on both of them and does not even show up in device manager. The first one happened about a month ago and I thought it was a software or hardware fluke but now the other one has done it too. I have tried everything from going into the bios to re-installing drivers and nothing seems to work. I don't even have a yellow exclamation marked device within the windows device manager. It's like Bluetooth never even existed on our Inspiron 7775. I have even swapped out the wifi / bluetooth card for an intel one I had lying around and bluetooth is still not there (yet wifi works fine). Anyone else hear of this issue and know of a fix? I'm an IT manager so I'd like to think I'm usually pretty good in fixing these things but this issue has me stumped.

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

I had a unit where the bluetooth module was installed but the screw to hold it in was missing. Eventually the module came out of its socket.  Putting the screw in fixed it.  USB bluetooth modules however are easy to use and also fix this issue.

http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/inspiron-27-7775-aio_service-manual_en-us.pdf

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

If you are using Win 10, go to Settings, Devices and see if you can add a Bluetooth device.  Don't know if that is the issue, but one thought. 

BTW, I'm a retired LAN/WAN Network Manager

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 26th, 2018 12:00

@Ryan_dbwrote:

I just completely uninstalled the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers and reinstalled a second time just to be sure. No luck. WiFi works great, Bluetooth is not there at all, both in device manager and windows 10 settings. Any other thoughts? Is it possible that this is bios related somehow?

Try this one then:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CR08X

Sometimes, these driver packages are set to update the firmware on the cards themselves... then update the drivers.

You can look in the BIOS for a "wireless disable" option, but I don't think an Inspiron would have such an option.

Maybe you just got some bad cards and they wore-out.I think they cost like $5 to make.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

My guess would be drivers (or firmware of wireless-card).

Verify the Bluetooth is provided by wireless card on this Dell model.

Please provide exact model number of Wireless card and it's form-factor.

7 Posts

I just completely uninstalled the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers and reinstalled a second time just to be sure. No luck. WiFi works great, Bluetooth is not there at all, both in device manager and windows 10 settings. Any other thoughts? Is it possible that this is bios related somehow?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Ryan_dbwrote:

I've opened up both machines and the wireless / Bluetooth modules are properly seated and screws are there. Again, Bluetooth used to be installed and working on both PC's about a month ago. We were even using Bluetooth keyboards and mice with them. The drivers are still installed as well. Both systems have the Qualcomm QCA61x4A wifi / Bluetooth module. BIOS is also up to date on both. 

Thanks again for the quick replies.

If Windows-10 64bit is installed, try uninstalling the old driver, reboot and then clean-install this driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/4/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=JYT40

7 Posts

I've opened up both machines and the wireless / Bluetooth modules are properly seated and screws are there. Again, Bluetooth used to be installed and working on both PC's about a month ago. We were even using Bluetooth keyboards and mice with them. The drivers are still installed as well. Both systems have the Qualcomm QCA61x4A wifi / Bluetooth module. BIOS is also up to date on both. 

Thanks again for the quick replies.

9 Posts

March 26th, 2018 14:00

I had the same issue with 5675. Was there one day and then was not. I think its due to the recent qualcomm march driver update. Since I installed that driver the Bt was gone. I tried all the options I know. Then did a win10 reset. Fixed the issue. But If you go withthe reset, Some of your programs will be uninstalled

7 Posts

I tried that one as well. I truly do not think it is a driver issue as then there would at least be something showing up in device manager. Is there a repository anywhere to check on the firmware version of the card? And no there isn't any option (at least in the GUI) to disable or toggle wlan / Bluetooth in the BIOS.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Well, then it's bad cards or bad motherboards (you said you have the latest BIOS).

Are you under warranty? Do you want to deal with motherboard swap?

If you are using wired ethernet ... I would be tempted to:

- remove those bad mini-pcie wireless cards
- Install this $12 Kinivo USB Bluetooth dongle

https://amzn.to/2pHdDba

- works great in Win-10/64bit drivers auto-load

- it's antenna ends up outside machine where it belongs

7 Posts

March 27th, 2018 06:00

Yes I am still under warranty. Because I swapped out the Wlan / Bluetooth for another card and i still couldn't get Bluetooth going, I feel like there is a bad batch of motherboards out there for these all in ones. I am still under warranty for another few months but I definitely cannot ship these off to a service center for a couple weeks and be without them. @Med Reda thanks for the suggestion about reinstalling windows. I will try that as a last resort I think.

March 30th, 2018 20:00

I have the same exact issue. Also I cannot switch on neither off bluetooth adapter. was shown as hideen device hit rolled back rebooted and then gone from device manager even from hidden devices. same for the IR camera...

7 Posts

April 2nd, 2018 13:00

Just wanted to give an update. Ended up spending a whole day on the phone with Dell trying to convince them that it was probably a motherboard hardware issue (on both). They finally agreed to send out two new motherboards even though I had to do the work and replace them myself since they wouldn't authorize a technician to come on-site and do the swap. Well luckily enough, swapping out the motherboards fixed the problem! Bluetooth is back and the system seems to be running cooler as well. So for anyone else who has similar issues with their Inspiron 7775, there is definitely a bad batch of motherboards out there!

Thanks to those who helped with troubleshooting suggestions. For anyone from Dell who may or may not be monitoring these forums, your whole process of trying to actually authorize part replacements under warranty (such as a motherboard) is completely absurd. I couldn't believe after the fully detailed explanations I gave the phone troubleshooting department, I still had to watch them remote in for almost an hour to try silly mundane things like uninstall and reinstall drivers (and not just once). The whole process screamed of a company that has gotten too big and political. It was an extremely frustrating experience to say the least.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 2nd, 2018 14:00

@Ryan_dbwrote:

swapping out the motherboards fixed the problem! Bluetooth is back and the system seems to be running cooler as well.

Glad you got it working, and you are happy.

I think you you select "Accept as Solution" on your last post above, it will rise to the top, and be easier for others to find.

August 27th, 2018 18:00

I lived the same exhausting process and I also had to convince them even still under warranty... and even through the authorized technician that came onsite and was trying with me to convince the Dell guys over the phone... painful... finally they agreed to ship a replacement motherboard and that solved the Bluetooth and IR Camera issues but.... a month later (yesterday) the same exact bluetooth issue happened again, just gone from device manager and unable to turn bluetooth on or off and can only see it in hidden devices... try uninstall rebooted and now it's gone for ever... I called them back today to ask what are the other option instead of always changing motherboard... they will call me back tomorrow... will keep you posted ! Can't believe a computer that has this price cost is not more reliable... I used to be a long time Dell customer and what very happy before but with this purchased I'm sad and disapointed...

No Events found!