Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2018 16:00

Inspiron 3650, BIOS update, 15th June 2018

Just had a notification that I should update the BIOS on an Inspiron 3650 to Version 3.6.0, 3.6.0

My current BIOS version is 3.5.2 dated 07/12/2017

After reading all the nightmare stories on here about problems users have had when updating the BIOS on their computers, I'm really very reluctant to do it. It seems that Dell leaves you high and dry (according to some of the posts on here) when updates fail and causes problems

What problems am I likely to encounter if I don't update please?

If I did update and it **bleep** my system, would a System Restore put me back to where I was? I'm on Windows 10.

Many thanks for responses.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 16th, 2018 18:00

This BIOS update is supposed to fix some security issues with Intel's firmware and CPU. You might want to Google the CVE numbers listed on that page to see what the issues are and then decide if you're willing to take the risk of a potential hack attack if you don't install the BIOS update.

AFAIK, this is Dell's latest policy on BIOS updates. Read it carefully, especially if your PC is out of warranty.

Most likely, the update will run smoothly and everything will be ok. But there's always a chance that any  BIOS update might fail. A System Restore will not help a failed BIOS update. However, PCs shipped after Dec, 2015 are supposed to have a BIOS Recovery option, which may help recover from a failed update. Be sure to read the section How do I identify if my Dell PC supports BIOS recovery? on that page to see if your model has this option and what version it may have. Then make sure it's enabled in BIOS setup before you install any BIOS update(s).

Since the update was only released on 6-15-18, if it were my PC, I'd wait a week or two before running it. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig. :Wink:

EDIT: If BIOS Recovery is not supported on this model, read Dell's policy on BIOS updates again...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 17th, 2018 12:00

You're welcome. Please mark this thread as Answered.

And post back after you run the BIOS update to let us know how it went...

58 Posts

June 17th, 2018 05:00

Many thanks RoHe. Gosh, what would I do without you answering my queries?
I've ascertained that I do have BR2 and as you suggest will wait for a couple of weeks before attempting the update.

Thanks for your help once again it is very much appreciated.

58 Posts

July 4th, 2018 13:00

Further to our previous conversation RoHe. I monitored the forum community for a couple of weeks and saw there were no concerns regarding the 3.6 BIOS update on the Inspiron 3650 so decided to update this evening. There doesn't appear to be any problems so far (Touch Wood).

I'm still very wary of update notifications though and will continue to be so, I think. (Best policy)

Thanks again for your valued assistance. 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 4th, 2018 15:00

@johnvictor wrote:

I'm still very wary of update notifications though and will continue to be so, I think. (Best policy)

Agreed!

And glad to hear the BIOS update worked properly for you. :Yes:

21 Posts

July 15th, 2018 18:00

I did the dell update on 7/15/18.  Computer turns on, power light is steady white, green light in back, fan is running.  I have a dark screen, no keyboard lights, no sign of the computer posting.  Is there a fix for this update?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 15th, 2018 20:00

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC?

You should read BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet

You should also read Dell's BIOS Update Policy and be sure to note the differences for PCs in and out of warranty.

21 Posts

July 15th, 2018 21:00

I unplugged the monitor from the pc and it did do the self test showing no input.  All this is a new problem right after the dell update.  I tried the holding down of the esc and cntrl kets, the f2 key, and even tapping tbe f12 key.  Nothing happens.

21 Posts

July 15th, 2018 22:00

@RoHe wrote:

Can you test this monitor on a different PC or a different monitor on this PC?

You should read BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet

You should also read Dell's BIOS Update Policy and be sure to note the differences for PCs in and out of warranty.

I am long out of warranty.  It is strange that this happened right after the dell update, I mean dowlaod update, restart and dead screen with no keyboard lights.  If the monitor was just out, I would at least get cap lock and scroll lock lights on the keyboard.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 16th, 2018 09:00

Check to see if the Boogey Man is gone now aka Spectre Mr Bond.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

bios updates should be done with ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE REMOVED.

This is the usual cause of borking the motherboard.

You cannot sleep the antivirus/antimalware you have to deinstall and reboot 3 times to make sure its really gone.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 16th, 2018 11:00

Unfortunately, BIOS updates always come with a risk of bricking the motherboard...

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  6. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot

21 Posts

July 16th, 2018 20:00

@RoHe wrote:

Unfortunately, BIOS updates always come with a risk of bricking the motherboard...

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off, unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery (check Service Manual for details)
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall the battery (time for a fresh CR2032 3-volt coin cell battery?)
  6. Close up and connect mouse, monitor and keyboard
  7. Reboot

Well, just finished.  The battery was easy enough to get to.  Fired her up, same problem.  Any ideas Ron? 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 17th, 2018 11:00

@Davey2018 wrote:

Well, just finished.  The battery was easy enough to get to.  Fired her up, same problem.  Any ideas Ron? 

Unfortunately, you're probably going to need a new motherboard...  :smileysad:

21 Posts

July 17th, 2018 13:00

@RoHe wrote:

@Davey2018 wrote:

Unfortunately, you're probably going to need a new motherboard...  :smileysad:

Is there a way to know for sure?
Is it best to get one through Dell?  Is this unit worth it?

21 Posts

July 17th, 2018 13:00

Is it best to get one through Dell?  Is this unit worth it?

No Events found!