Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 3rd, 2018 07:00

Inspiron 3650, PSU upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 that I have upgraded with an EVGA NVIDIA 1050ti, and added another 8 GB of RAM. However, when I play more intensive games, the GPU is drawing too much power to power it and the sound card, causing it to glitch and even disconnect from the computer, and then I get some bad frame drops. I need a bigger PSU then. The thing is, I absolutely have to have it in the case. I move my desktop around for school and competitions so I can't have an external psu. Has anyone found any that are 300+ watts and fit in this PC?

12 Posts

February 6th, 2018 17:00

That's not true, actually. This PSU will fit, if rotated, into the case. You do have to get a 24 to 8 pin connector and file away the some of the metal on the case (which would void the purchased warranty. DELL-Chris M) to get it to fit though, but it is easier than switching cases or motherboards. 

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

February 6th, 2018 10:00

This isn't going to happen -- not without either swapping the innards into a larger case (which is a very difficult process) -- or by leaving the PS box outside the system.

Effectively you want to put a V8 engine into a Mini -- it's not going to happen.

20 Posts

June 6th, 2018 12:00

Without modifying the case just get the industrial strength double sided tape used to hang mirrors on walls. Walmart sells it for less than $3. Apply 2 horizontal strips to the side of power supply that will contact the inner side panel of the case and on vertical strip right next to the back opening of the case. Line your sfx power supply up to the back opening and firmly push into place. That power supply will not move unless you very forcibly pull it out. I upgraded to a Corsair SF600 and a Zotac GTX 1080ti mini recently after having my 1050ti mini in the system for a year.

June 23rd, 2018 01:00

Besides than Corsair SF600, will other brands of PSU (as Cooler Master, Sensonic, etc) works on Dell Inspiron 3650.

December 9th, 2018 20:00

Did you need the special cable to hook the PSU up? Did the tape end up holding out okay or did you find a way to mount it?

December 9th, 2018 20:00

Blindseal, is this the same exact PSU? It's a little cheaper and appears to be identical. Same brand and everything. This one is FSP450-60GHS(85)-R1 where as the one you posted is just FSP450-60GHS(85)-R (Missing the 1 at the end)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABP94GR8137&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-ShopFSP-_-Power+Supplies-_-9SIABP94GR8137&gclid=CjwKCAiAl7PgBRBWEiwAzFhmmlHHmLRHht_1YUiCMAJZSsdOHzEUn0oqEnUawnKSdaMecJgI9fXVShoCI30QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12 Posts

December 10th, 2018 07:00

That PSU should work, and the card should fit in the case as I have plenty of room with my 1050ti. While there's no special connectors or mounts needed, I recommend cutting a hole where the fan would be so that there's better airflow. Also, you might have to drill holes for the screws, though I can't remember if I had to do that.

1 Message

June 25th, 2019 13:00

Did this power supply work in the 3650?

No Events found!