Highlighted
Dave NY
1 Nickel

Inspiron 3670, Add SSD, already with Optane

I just purchased a Dell 3670 Inspiron; it was a Costco special item with 12GB memory + Optane (M.2 PCIe Gen 3 x4, NVMe), 1GB HDD.  According to Tech Support the computer supports the following types of storage:

• One 3.5-inch Hard-Disk Drive (HDD) Up to 2 TB   
  • Up to two 2.5-inch Hard-Disk Drives Up to 1 TB
  • One M.2 2280 Solid-State Drive Up to 512 GB

I want to add a second drive (SSD) and use that as the boot.  I chatted with someone from Tech support and he suggested using an M.2 drive instead of 2.5".  I thought I could only add a single M.2 device (in this case isn't the slot is already taken by the Optane?) -- so I think I may have misunderstood tech (or perhaps he made a mistake).

I was hoping people could help me with a few questions.  It ts been ~8 years since I opened my last Dell to change drives and cards ... so my knowledge is quite rusty; I'd appreciate any help.

1) Can I add a second M.2 (at least I assume it can't be NVMe)?

2) Should I get a 2.5" SSD (Sata?) and keep the Optane? (slower SATA III connection but keeps Optane)

3) Should I replace the Optane card with an M.2 NVMe SSD (seems silly but I'd get the faster NVMe connection while losing any benefits from the Optane; plus seems cost ineffective to give up on a brand new Optane set)

I want an SSD to improve boot times and reliability.  I'm trying to do this in a somewhat cost effective manner so will choose a reasonable tradeoff between speed and cost.

Apologies if I made any technical errors or misstatements -- as I mentioned I'm quite rusty. 

Thank you!!!

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: Add SSD to Inspiron already with Optane

You might want to read this for starters:  Inspiron 3670, are any M.2 NVME SSD's compatible?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

Tesla1856
6 Thallium

Yes, those are your options.

It is answered here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5680-M-2-SSD-or-Intel-Optane/td-p/6048001

For example, what if you had only this installed:
- a real PCIe/NVMe 512gb SSD
- 1gb spinning HDD

Would 512gb hold all your Windows, all Apps & Programs, and 3 favorite games? If so, all that can be very-very fast ... and the 1tb-HDD will just run at normal speed (for other large games, data files, and whatever) normal .

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Dave NY
1 Nickel

Ron: Thank you — very helpful for a rusty folk like me... really appreciate it  

Tesla 1856: Thank you. I don’t know how I missed this (maybe because I’m using a tablet or phone before I get my PC set up.). This is exactly my dilemma. I think I’m going to go with a 500G NVMe and ditch Optane From what I’ve read it’s faster and it sounds like installing a 2.5” is a bit of a PITA anyway (need to buy cables.). But I hate the idea of trashing Optane before it is even used!

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@Dave NY wrote:

1. I think I’m going to go with a 500G NVMe and ditch Optane

2. From what I’ve read it’s faster

3. and it sounds like installing a 2.5” is a bit of a PITA anyway (need to buy cables.).

4. But I hate the idea of trashing Optane before it is even used!

1. Yeah, I think I would.

2. Right

3. Not really

4. So try it. Run Crystal DiskMark on it and see how fast it is.

I don't play with Oplame, but this is interesting now.

https://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optane-memory-tested-with-secondary-hard-drive_205254

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
7- Thorium

But do we know this motherboard will support using Optane with a secondary hard drive?

Read this from Intel:  Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel Optane Memory

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@RoHe wrote:

But do we know this motherboard will support using Optane with a secondary hard drive?

No, I was just providing a link. And as I said, I don't play with Oplame.

Someone with this model (that wants this unusual config) will have to verify.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

@Tesla1856 wrote:

@RoHe wrote:

No, I was just providing a link. And as I said, I don't play with Oplame.

Someone with this model (that wants this unusual config) will have to verify.

Wasn't meant to offend... I was just asking a question that anyone wanting to use Optane with a secondary SATA drive needs to investigate.

I'm not aware of any user on these forums who is using Optane with a secondary drive. Probably will need a BIOS update from Dell...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Dave NY
1 Nickel

And the plot thickens... one more reason to abandon the Optane card.

0 Kudos