Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2021 09:00

Inspiron 3670 - Onboard Video - GPU Card

Trying to gain information regarding installing a video card. My questions are:

1.) Is it necessary / required to disable the onboard video prior to installing the new video card. The card selected is an EVGA GeForce GT640 and doesn't require additional power. It is a dual slot PCIe short card. Personally, I don't believe this is a requirement (PC built Oct 2019), but do appreciate other comments and thoughts.

2.) Given the information in item #1 above, is it a requirement to disable the secure boot in the BIOS since the graphics card may be identified has and unauthorized device. I've seen to many videos / comments that glance over this issue and fail to truly provide salient information.

Thanks in advance for thoughts and comments regarding these two questions.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 16th, 2021 10:00

" required to disable the onboard video prior to installing the new video card."

This hasn't been an issue for over 15 years.

Secure Boot off in bios under F2 bios setup security has been a known issue since 2012 for NON DELL VIDEO Cards and legacy Video cards without UEFI Bios.  You shut secure boot off BEFORE installing the video card or it wont post.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

29 Posts

June 16th, 2021 12:00

Thank you. This is what I was needing / looking for.

9 Posts

May 10th, 2023 22:00

It did lol. Enjoy and feel free to use. 2 years too late, on time is something never mastered. 

9 Posts

May 10th, 2023 22:00

While researching I've run across cautions explicitly stating to turn off UEFI secure boot prior to letting the machine find and install card.Had I looked up this desktop there is no way I would have purchased any machine that standard config is bumping against the limit of power supply with little to nothing running. I don't know for sure which operation (Dell or BestBuy) should be granted the honor shown in picture below. If and only if it lets me put the picture on the bulletin board. (grin)no caption necessary

8 Wizard

• 

6.1K Posts

May 11th, 2023 17:00

The solution in this thread suggested to disable secured boot, not turning off UEFI.  They are two different things.

Yes, it's 2 years too late, OP would not waiting around for 2 years for information regarding installing a video card.

No Events found!