Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2018 20:00

Inspiron 3670, PSU upgrade

Hello,

I purchased an Inspiron I3670-5750BLK-PUS without realizing that the power supply did not have any spare wires on it for extra components. I would like to add a graphics card to the PC, but as the power supply does not have any extra wires, this is not currently possible. Are there any options to upgrade this proprietary PSU?  It looks like a standard ATX power supply will not work as the power connector on the motherboard is an 8 pin rather then the standard 24 pin.  There is also a 4 pin on the opposite side of the board. 

EDIT / UPDATE:
I found one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A210HKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

24 Pin to 8 Pin PSU connector.  Grabbing one in the hopes that it will work...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 25th, 2018 09:00

It might work.  The CAB359 from Moddiy has been tested and works fine.

Optiplex 3020 9020, Precision T1700, Power Edge T20 also use the same thing.

There is also a guy who made his own adapter from scratch.

https://raphtec.wordpress.com/projects/dell-poweredge-t20-atx-power-supply-adapter/

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-Inspiron-3650-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

Let us know how it goes.

The other option with a 3670 is the 365W power supply that supports OEM GTX 1060.

When installing an after-market graphics card into a Windows PC with UEFI secure boot enabled, the system may not boot.  This is true for ANY PC not just Dell.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3156

The internal parts page shows 290w standard 365w optional.

Full Length GTX 1060 does not physically fit into the case.

But the following Dell OEM full height but short video cards work with Dell OEM 365w PSU =
7VK45 365w, Huntkey
T1M43 365w, Delta

DVP9W Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, PCIe, 4GB, DVI-D/DP 1.3/1.4/HDMI 2.0, 75w
36V90 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060, PCIe, 3GB, DVI-D/3DP/HDMI, 120w
24K8H Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050, PCIe, 2GB, DVI-D/HDMI 2.0/DP 1.3

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2018 08:00

Hi, I'm in the same position, trying to use my GTX 970, but can't power it. Did that cable work? Another issue is the card can fit (barely), but the 8 pin connector on the mobo is right under the video card, and am unsure if the card is fully seated in the slot, so a low profile connector, or perhaps a right angle connector might help out. Did you have this issue?

Thanks!

3 Posts

August 10th, 2018 19:00

Sorry for the late reply update guys.

The cable adapter I posted in my original post worked fine.

I haven't gotten around to buying a video card yet, so I can't comment on this.  I'm planning on buying a short single fan model though to keep it as compact as possible to avoid any issues with fitment.

This is the power supply I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B72W0A2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did have to hack out a bit of the back of the case though to allow he power cord connect to clear and fit. I guess I should have paid more attention to what I was getting.  Oh well...

1 Message

September 11th, 2018 06:00

Hello Ender3D,

I'm looking to upgrade the PSU myself. I noticed the Dell OEM PSU has the fan facing directly to the rear (plug side) and the new PSU, including the Corsair 550 watt you installed has the fan facing the side. It appears that after it is placed in the case and installed, the fan will be facing to a flat side of the case (no vents). If this is the case with your install, have you noticed any more noise or heat issues? Just curious how your install is working out.  

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

340 Posts

January 4th, 2019 07:00

@Ozzie45 wrote:

Hello Ender3D,

I'm looking to upgrade the PSU myself. I noticed the Dell OEM PSU has the fan facing directly to the rear (plug side) and the new PSU, including the Corsair 550 watt you installed has the fan facing the side. It appears that after it is placed in the case and installed, the fan will be facing to a flat side of the case (no vents). If this is the case with your install, have you noticed any more noise or heat issues? Just curious how your install is working out.  

Thanks

I'm trying to do the same thing to my i3670 DT, and also realized, after buying a EVGA 600W PS, that the fan in the PS faces the case bottom, and there are no other venting so I would think the PS might overheat.

Also, the EVGA PS AC input did not quite line up with the cut-out on the back of the case.  

I did buy one of the 24-pin to 8-pin Dell PS adapters, but have not been able to try it since I haven't found a PS that fits.

What did you wind up doing?

13 Posts

January 29th, 2019 08:00

A little notch on back by recptical, an cut a vent into bottom plus adapter shown above  you can do it by repining an adding 12v. I tried this after looking up the moddiy  an i did have machine running. only reason i used other adapter cause I already bought it plus it was a rats nest after i got it going  692C8BF0-3806-4AA6-BB3F-6854F32126DD.jpeg

13 Posts

January 29th, 2019 09:00

235ECAF3-3D38-42AB-8874-805B1170D258.jpeg

If your curious what it is. If I remember correctly its some sort of usb converter. 

February 15th, 2019 09:00

the PSU fan mounted facing down?

13 Posts

February 15th, 2019 16:00

Yes fan is facing down. Had to notch out right around the plug not very much maybe 1/8 inch. Also cut an made vent at the bottom under the fan for ventilation. 

3 Posts

April 19th, 2019 12:00

That is an interesting mod. I bought the 3670 based on the overall spec but there was no option to upgrade the video at time of purchase. I thought I have a FreeSync monitor which requires an AMD card to get the freesync to work. Which means that even the Dell 365w PSU will not be enough to drive it.  So I would need to do the mod you did to get an aftermarket psu to work..

I don’t know how much modding you had to do to get the PSU to fit. What was that board with the wires soldered on? Is that part of the mod?  And you need a 24 to 8pin adapter. Correct?

In addition I assume that is the sapphire short GTX1060 card installed? I need to know how much more length is available in the case. I believe the sapphire card is 7.2 inches. I found an RX 570 CARD (gigabyte AORUS) that is 9.1 inches. Do you think there is room.? My system has not arrived yet and I want to get the parts ordered so appreciate your input.

13 Posts

April 20th, 2019 03:00

The board you see is the adapter you’ll need for the PSU. It adds a line back to the PSU to signal all is good an power up. Also sends the motherboard proper voltage it needs to sense so it can also say all is good. At the time when I ordered this there wasn’t any adapter labeling itself for a Inspiron 3670. So don’t get nervous if you don’t find one that says exactly for a 3670 as this one is compatible. 

For your monitor goes, I don’t have any input for you. I have mine running to a 65” led for the monitor. 

The GPU that you see is a 1050 TI. The measurements I have are.  OD between the case walls where GPU lays are 10 5/8”. From the very front point of GPU to the 8pin I have a tolerance if 1 1/8”. From end to end of the card I have an OD of 9 1/2” . Before I received the adapter for PSU, I tried to do it without. I was successful in doing this. So it is possible to do without. I want to say I jumped off the mini 6 pin by using the 5v leg. At 2am, a roll of electric tape, an a rats nest of a never ending rainbow of connections I forgot what went were after disassembling all of it to make its final connection. So if you’re just as impatient as me waiting for the adapter to show up an itching to stuff all your new toys in it, well  then it is doable to do with a meter an some electrical knowledge. I hope this helps you some. An if you any other questions please fell to ask me. Hope it all goes smoothly for you. An remember with a few beers an a hammer you’ll have all the room you need to stuff whatever graphics card you wish to install lol. 

13 Posts

April 20th, 2019 04:00

7B062EF5-C8B8-4F7E-9F94-A6B7DFF33A2F.jpeg

32FB48B0-54F1-498B-8058-6FCED8AF5D18.jpeg

BD333975-E4F6-439A-9EC1-4FFEA18D7931.jpeg

Depending on your PSU you might have to trim a very little. This is due to the outer black ring around the plug in receptacle. The EVGA 600w i did I trimmed a tiny bit ; by making two slits an bending along the stamp line with a pair of pliers. Don’t just bend it back because this will not give you length you’ll need to secure the PSU all the way  down. 

3 Posts

April 20th, 2019 23:00

Wow thanks for all the details! Was kind of about to give up on an AMD solution and go with the GTX 1060 and upgraded dell PSU. Now that I know your card is 9.5 inches and it fit then the 9.1 inch Gigabyte AORUS (AMD RX 570) should as well. Thanks again 

I can’t say I have great electrical knowledge (or time) so I can’t undertake soldering that board together but from what I understood earlier that adapter would do it. Assuming I buy the adapter recommended would that work with the PSU you bought or is the circuit board mod also necessary? I am going to go back and re~read about that adapter.

I kind of like the idea of a better PSU as I have another 240GB SSD in my previous machine I would like to add plus a much larger conventional HHD. Looking at the mobo diagram I get the sense that it only has connectors to power two hard drives? Maybe there are splitters after the motherboard connectors?

Either way a good PSU is never a bad thing when it comes to overall stability and longevity so probably worth while. Besides, good enough is rarely satisfying if you can make it better.

3 Posts

April 21st, 2019 16:00

After some more thought I am going to go with the Dell 365W PS and recommended GTX 1060 card. This keeps me in the tested and approved to work category and I just have time to rewire the whole system and make cuts to the box etc. Keep is simple it best for me right now but thank you for the input. A good head start here for anyone that may want to go that route in the future. 

Best,

Kringle.

13 Posts

May 12th, 2019 06:00

I have installed a Asus GTX 1050 Ti card that fits the Inspiron 3670 w/o need for any additional connectors at all from the PSU. It gets its power directly from the motherboard. I was looking to upgrade from the standard 290W power supply but I see that Dell offers (it did offer) a 1050 Ti card with the 290W power supply unit. No need to screw around with any mods. My only problem is that I still can't get the board to recognize the new card, even after disabling the onboard graphics, disabling security settings, etc. Not to hijack this thread, but looking for help to get the card working.

No Events found!