Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2018 02:00

Inspiron 3847, ODD not working?

For the first time (since I bought this desktop, 3 years ago) I put a DVD in the ODD (optical disk drive) and then I heard it spin up very quickly and then it stopped and this kept repeating and it wouldn't spin continually for more than 2 seconds without stopping completely (I could tell from the sounds it was making). I thought maybe it was an issue with Windows 10 but when I rebooted into Ubuntu (I dual boot). It also didn't really work? - What do I mean by this? Well, the DVD's name can be read and its size and the amount of data it has etc. But when trying to see what files it has, it causes the explorer to crash (ofc, since it has stopped spinning then starts etc) and then the same happens if you try to open a file. Help please since it seems it's been defective since day 1 and this is the first time I have used it.

5 Posts

June 9th, 2018 06:00

Indeed one of the cables were a tad loose from the ODD! fixed now :)

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 10th, 2018 06:00

Try a CD, a commercial Audio CD if you have one and see how it works with a CD, since according to your post you only tried a DVD (and was it just one or did you try more than one?).

"it seems it's been defective since day 1 and this is the first time I have used it"  Can't say that is the case since you never tried it.  Although rare, since it has not been used for 3 years the Laser (that reads the disc) may be dusty and causing the problem.

Post back the results after trying a CD and/or a different DVD.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2018 19:00

Like @fireberd says ... try various REAL (store bought ) discs ... Audio-CD, CD-ROM, Video-DVD, DVD-ROM. They both use the red-laser, but I think CDs spin slower.

Since it's acting-up in both OS, sounds like a failing optical drive to me. It's pretty common. Sometimes they wear out and I've also seen them die from non-use. Luckily, they are cheap to replace.

May 10th, 2018 20:00

Yeah you can replace it with an cheap external usb based drive.  My Aurora came with one of those drives ment for laptops, very fragile.  Instead of dealing with a fragile drive after I tested mine by installing a couple old games I bought an external as replacement, and use that so as to not damage the internal drive.  LG Ultra Slim DVD Writer GP55. I think I got the drive on sale for $20.  It to is a very cheaply made and fragile device but it is worth the $20 to spare damaging the systems internal drive.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2018 08:00

@GamerdudeForeverwrote:

1. My Aurora came with one of those drives meant for laptops, very fragile.

2. Instead of dealing with a fragile drive ... LG Ultra Slim DVD Writer GP55. I think I got the drive on sale for $20.  It to is a very cheaply made and fragile device but it is worth the $20 to spare damaging the systems internal drive.

1. Exactly

2. Right

Or, if you are doing a lot of burning/ ripping, Blu-Ray, etc ... I suggest a real/sturdy/reliable 5.25inch Optical drive. Stick it in a 5.25inch USB-3 external enclosure (with UASP) and be done with it. eSATA-150 interface would also work (if you have that available). I think I saw ASUS or someone makes a pre-made USB-3 unit.

With UASP and Burn-Proof ... no burning/ripping trouble. For the 5.25inch opticals, you can even get proper firmware updates if you need them. 

5 Posts

May 11th, 2018 14:00

I tried a commercial DVD and it didnt work caused lots of crashes and the video didnt play. Expect an update in a week when I try to check the cabling. (According to device manager its unplugged but I doubt it).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 11th, 2018 15:00

@1markwrote:

I tried a commercial DVD and it didnt work caused lots of crashes and the video didnt play. Expect an update in a week when I try to check the cabling. (According to device manager its unplugged but I doubt it).

Keep in mind that Win 10 doesn't have a built-in "Media Center" video player like previous versions of Windows. So unless you purchase their video player through their app store, or use either a free or paid 3rd-party DVD player, a commercial DVD isn't going to play.

No Events found!