Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 12th, 2018 18:00

Inspiron 3847 Power Light Blinking Amber

When I power ON the PC the power light stays white for few seconds, then turns to blinking amber. Blinks 3 times, pause, 3 times continuously. Loud intermittent fan noise also starts coming.

Room temperature is around 70 F. Back side power test light is always green when pressed with all cables/USB devices unplugged except power.

According to second video in this link, the hardware issue is external. But all cables are unplugged.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 13th, 2018 03:00

Usually, a blinking amber power light indicates a defective power supply.  Unfortunately the Dell manual for the 3847 does not detail any troubleshooting lights/codes so its not 100% but as noted usually the power supply is the problem.

3 Posts

April 13th, 2018 08:00

I might order a power supply. But I wonder if anybody had comments on the video link I posted according to which the issue is external, not internal.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2018 09:00

@joym8wrote:

I might order a power supply. But I wonder if anybody had comments on the video link I posted according to which the issue is external, not internal.

That's not really how you fix or troubleshoot dead computers. It's closer to this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Alienware-Desktop-General-Hardware-Troubleshooting/m-p/5555517#M57436

And that paragraph (in all the Dell manuals) should probably be written more like this:

"If the Power-Supply test LED responds favorably, then there is a 90% chance your Power-Supply is good. You might want to look elsewhere for problems. Have this machine diagnosed and repaired by a qualified computer technician."

3 Posts

April 18th, 2018 13:00

Got it diagnosed at local shop. They tried replacing power supply and RAM, detaching hard drive and whatever else they could think but no luck. They say everything points to a motherboard problem. But not 100% sure. If I somehow manage to get a new motherboard for that and it does not resolve the issue, that's waste of time and money. Used motherboard is no good either as I don't know how long it's going to last?

What would you recommend at this point? I can't believe a brand new PC, running perfectly for 3 years could just die all of a sudden one morning without any warning signs.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 18th, 2018 15:00

Sadly a component can fail at any time.  I've been in computers for many years and have seen similar things happen - all brands.  I've had components fail in my own systems (self built desktops).  I've had components fail while in warranty and "prematurely" out of warranty.  

I have no idea of your location or where you have to PC located, but it needs to be where there is adequate cool air flow.  Heat is a known potential cause of early failures.   Another issue is AC power.  If you have not used a "good quality" power surge protector or UPS system there is the possibility that there was a power surge at some point and it weakened components and like with overheating it can eventually lead to failures.  The overheating or power failure could have been a year ago and it took that long for a failure.  

Its up to you, but if it were mine I would look for a new PC.  I would also buy an extended warranty with whatever you buy to cover things such as this.  I would seriously consider a UPS system that will provide both surge protection and AC power (for a short time) if there is a power failure.  Most power failures are momentary or short duration and a UPS will help with these situations.  At my residence I have a UPS for my desktop PC, and another UPS for my 55" HD TV.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2019 10:00

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would throw this out there.

I had the same problem.  My computer's power button blinked Amber 2 times - pause - blink 2 times.

I removed one of the 2 x 4GB RAM chips and everything came up fine.  Updated the BIOS.  Reinserted the 2nd RAM chip and viola.  Good to go.

Hope that helps someone

-RJ

2 Posts

February 6th, 2024 03:15

@rjemmett​ , I had the same exact issue as you. I checked my two chips and one of them was loose. I made sure it was properly inserted into the motherboard and it worked just fine.

2 Posts

February 6th, 2024 03:16

@rjemmett​ thank you for posting your solution. I am also taking the opportunity to update drivers and BIOS at this time. This is a 10 year old computer and it is still working fine. 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 13th, 2024 21:56

@rjemmett​ Thank you very much. Removing one stick of RAM solved my problem.

No Events found!