Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

January 19th, 2018 14:00

Inspiron 3847 - bios update to counter spectre?

Does anyone know if there will be a bios update for the Inspiron 3847 (Intel i5-4440 processor) to counter Spectre/ Meltdown? It is not listed on the Dell Knowledgebase page "Microprocessor Side-Channel Vulnerabilities (CVE-2017-5715, CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5754): Impact on Dell products"  I would expect the processor to be affected.

2.3K Posts

January 19th, 2018 16:00

Its possible they won't be updating it due to its introduction age which was early 2014. I'd keep looking at the list as they may add to it later.

1 Message

February 28th, 2018 21:00

I've been waiting for this too, and I just got prompted for a BIOS and chipset update this evening.  I'd like to share my experience as it may be useful to some...

I allowed the update to run, but did not reboot when prompted.  Instead, I hit cancel -- I noticed that the Chipset update had a "Reboot" button, but the BIOS update had an "Install" button.  I finished some work, then did a cold boot of my system.  I ran SupportAssist to see if the updates were successful, and according to the logs, they were.

Then I ran InSpectre, which said I was still unprotected against Spectre, so I figured I goofed and should have hit install after I cancelled the reboot.  In any case, I went to the Drivers and Downloads page on the Dell support site, and did a manual lookup for BIOS updates.  Bingo.  A09, the one we need, showed up, and I downloaded and installed it.  InSpectre says I'm protected now.  Also, the Inspiron 3847 and update A09 are now listed on the Knowledgebase page -- I've been checking that every couple of days.

TL;DR:  Here's a link to the download page for the BIOS update that will protect the Inspiron 3847 from Spectre -- https://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=73DC4

2 Posts

April 6th, 2018 01:00

Thanks for your response. I currently have BIOS version a02. Can I update directly to a09?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 6th, 2018 11:00

@oldpcdudewrote:

Thanks for your response. I currently have BIOS version a02. Can I update directly to a09?

Most likely since BIOS updates are cumulative.

And the fewer BIOS updates you run, the fewer chances for problems... :Wink:

No Events found!