Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2019 09:00

Inspiron 3847, random shutdowns since BIOS update to A11 (05/07/2019)

I updated the BIOS on my 3847 last week. I downloaded and installed version A11, dated 05/07/2019. Since then - if I leave the computer alone (usually in sleep mode) it will shut itself down.  This isn't normal behavior.

It isn't sleep mode - it's a full shutdown requiring pressing the power button to restart it.  I've checked all the power savings settings in both the BIOS and in Windows10 - none of them are set to do this.

Thinking perhaps it was due to heating caused by dust buildup on the PC - I blew out all the dust (considerable) with high-pressure air. It made no difference to the behavior.

It doesn't seem to do this if I use the machine at least once every hour or so, and it leaves no errror message in any of the logs that I can find.

Below is an extract from the system summary:

System Summary - extract.jpg

August 18th, 2019 10:00

I thought I'd update what the final fix was. It was the making sure the Windows system files were all intact.

In a command prompt window opened as Administrator,  I typed  C:\sfc /scannow - this checks the system files integrity and if possible replaces any damaged ones with good copies.

I got a message telling that SFC had repaired some system files, but not all since the source libraries were not found or were corrupt.

So - how to fix that?  In the same command prompt window:   C:\DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth - this checks all the system libraries for corruption and downloads and replaces any that are damaged with new fresh ones from Microsoft.  This command can take a while.

When done - in the same command prompt window - repeat running system file check again: C:\sfc /scannow

It should complete replacing any damaged system files at this point.

Reboot and enjoy.  Running fine, doesn't shut itself down during periods of non-use.

Next off - if anyone is interested - I really love the iTb SSD disk I replaced drive-0 with.  FAST boot, fast program responses. All around - worth the $100 to do it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 16th, 2019 10:00

We won't be able to see your image, until the moderators approve it.

Does the power button go off or is the LED still on, and what color?

Where did you get BIOS A11?  The latest BIOS offered on the Support page for the Inspiron 3847 is A10.

You didn't say what settings you checked so check these:

Reboot, open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all root hubs.

Now expand list under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and uncheck that same box for any HID entry that has a Power Management tab. Exit Device Manager when done.

Next, open the Windows Power options screen and identify the active Power plan. Click the link to change its settings and on next screen click link for Additional Options. On that screen, disable Hibernation, disable Hybrid Sleep, disable USB Selective Suspend, and disable PCI Express Link State Management. Save the changes to the power plan and reboot.

Does that help?

July 16th, 2019 18:00

Ron - thanks much!  I'll give all of those a try.

I am a bit suspicious of the BIOS. IIRC, I found it using Dell Update. I think I'll see if I can regress one BIOS version.

July 16th, 2019 18:00

BTW - yes - power button goes off... so it's not in hibernation or sleep mode.

Don

July 17th, 2019 10:00

Thanks Ron!

After making all the suggested changes you mentioned yesterday, it continues to shut itself off. It seems to do that when it's inactive for a long time - ie - when I'm asleep.

I tried running the A10 and A9 BIOS installation routines - but as you mentioned - this isn't allowed since they're "later or the same versions".  I'll check later on the other packages - but running the Dell Update tool shows me up to date on everything.

I'm sort of surprised that there isn't a hidden shadow BIOS somewhere that could be triggered by some keystroke pattern on power-up. I seem to recall that from a long time ago (maybe 40 years ago...) on some PC's.

What's interesting is there is no A11 installation package that I can find on my PC. I'm usually pretty organized about downloads - keeping all the Dell ones in \downloads\Dell\ - but it's not there.  How did I end up with A11? That might be a question for your Dell contact.

Thanks again for all the help!

Don

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2019 10:00

Be very careful if you attempt to downgrade BIOS back to A10, because you're likely going to have to force the downgrade by adding some "switches" to the command line. You could brick the motherboard completely and that won't be covered by Dell.

Before you even try that, do you have the latest driver updates for the Intel Chipset (Apr'19) and the latest Intel Management Engine (Feb'19)?

I'll ping my Dell tech contact to ask if he has any info on the disappearing BIOS A11...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 17th, 2019 11:00

Unless you downloaded the update manually, I don't know A11.exe would have gotten saved. It might have been put in a temp folder that got emptied when you shut down...

You can try clearing BIOS:

1. Power on and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy all current BIOS settings to be safe
  3. Power off, unplug
  4. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  5. Open case and remove motherboard battery (Check Service Manual for details)
  6. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  7. Reinstall battery (time for a fresh CR2032 battery?)
  8. Close up and reboot

Does it still list BIOS A11?  Does it still shut down on its own?

Other things to consider:

1. If using surge protector or power strip, remove those and connect PC directly to wall outlet
  2. Power supply issue?

EDIT: And update those 2 drivers too.

9.4K Posts

July 18th, 2019 10:00

Hi deilenberger,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

July 18th, 2019 11:00

Hi Robert, thanks for reaching out. The system is out of warranty, and since this is just an annoyance - I can live with it until I decide to replace the system.  What's curious is how I ended up with BIOS A11 - when that isn't listed for this PC.  I can easily imagine that might be the root cause of the problem..

10 Posts

December 14th, 2019 08:00

Hello deilenberger,

A bit of a mystery here for me.  I have (2) Inspiron 3847 desktops.  Both started out at A04, but according to Dell Support Site for both systems, based on SERVICE TAG Driver & Downloads results, A11 should in fact be the most current version.

On both of these systems, A05-A11, though the BIOS update would download, double-click to install, they did nothing, no error, no pop-ups.

Since the files are universal Windows/DOS, I just copied them over to a Rufus DOS Boot (FreeDOS) USB.  Executing them there, causes them to "unpack" where it then displays the current/installed version, then prompting Y or N to update to the also displayed new version number.  This unpacking process appears to go exactly the same A05-A11, but A09, A10, A11 all fail with the message you see attached.  BOTH of these system perfectly updated to A08 via DOS, where they are now, but refuses to go no further.

So even more curious, you indicated:

"What's curious is how I ended up with BIOS A11 - when that isn't listed for this PC" 

*** But in fact, they DO seem to be listed, possibly in error, for both of my SERVICE TAG's.*** and also in fact do not want to update beyond A08.

Any ideas is in fact A08 might be the "official" last update for this system, or how to go beyond the error I am getting, so A09-A11 can be applied?

Thank You,

Greg

IMG_0962.jpgIMG_0961.jpg

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2019 11:00

@gericb  - Don't know where you're looking, but I see BIOS A11 for Inspiron 3847 is readily available here.

If you already have A11 running, you shouldn't be allowed to install any prior versions. So stop messing around or you'll brick your motherboards.

And for future reference, BIOS updates are supposed to be cumulative so you can jump directly to the latest version, unless there's a warning saying the latest version requires some intermediate prior version first.

And if you have Dell SupportAssist installed, it probably did the BIOS update when you weren't looking, or it asked and you said "yes".

10 Posts

December 14th, 2019 16:00

Ron,  I know it is there too, that's never really been the issue.  I initially commented to this forum member "deilenberger" in this thread, regarding is comments on A11.

"07-18-2019 11:24 AM

Re: Inspiron 3847, random shutdowns since BIOS update to A11 (05/07/2019)

Hi Robert, thanks for reaching out. The system is out of warranty, and since this is just an annoyance - I can live with it until I decide to replace the system.  What's curious is how I ended up with BIOS A11 - when that isn't listed for this PC.  I can easily imagine that might be the root cause of the problem."

Did you comprehensively read the details of my actual posting?  My key point is that the download BIOS updates basically don't run at all, do nothing when run from Windows.  More importantly, where as the BIOS updates worked in DOS, A05-A08.   A09-A11 fails, as seen in the uploaded picture.   So, it had me wondering IF IN FACT, A09-A11 was still valid, had maybe been pulled, or maybe something special needed to install, EVEN from DOS.

Anything useful regarding this?

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 14th, 2019 17:00

@gericb  -  So now I'm totally confused. Do you have a question or not...? 

10 Posts

December 15th, 2019 15:00

Sure. I'll repeat.  Did you see the picture from earlier in the thread that I posted from a DOS screen and the error?

So BOTH of my 3847 had A04 BIOS.  Neither of them would install A05, A06, A07, A08, A09, A10, A11 BIOS downloaded from Dell...in Windows.  Double-click to run or even "Run As Administrator" basically, just sits there, does nothing.

So creating a FreeDOS boot USB, moving the files there, I was able to get BOTH systems up to A08 via DOS install.  However, A09, A10, A11 do not install at all, even in DOS, as seen in the error image I uploaded earlier.

Never had a Dell system that couldn't / wouldn't install BIOS updates, vert weird to be sure.

What do you think?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 15th, 2019 15:00

@gericb-  Did you disable your anti-viral/anti-malware app in Windows before running the BIOS update as administrator? And were all other apps and windows closed too?

I found an old thread for a Vostro with the same error message about "gen-x00 not found" when trying to update BIOS. The one thing both you and that OP have in common is booting from a USB stick with FreeDOS.  Don't know if that could be the issue, but try creating a new bootable USB, formatted FAT32, using Rufus (free).

And I'd go directly from A08 to the latest version, skipping the in-betweeners, so you don't have to risk bricking your motherboard multiple times. And only put that ONE BIOS .exe on that USB stick, not all of them...

And if all else fails, just stay with A08...

No Events found!