Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2022 13:00

Inspiron 3891, Event Viewer error - Usbupdate.exe fails

Hello,  I completed a fresh restore/install of Windows 11 and keep seeing this error in the event viewer. Internet research suggests the UsBUpdate.exe originates from Dell. I have no new updates available in Windows update or Dell Update.  Any advice?

Faulting application name: UsbUpdate.exe, version: 1.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x62833626
Faulting module name: UsbUpdate.exe, version: 1.1.0.1, time stamp: 0x62833626
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00006a40
Faulting process id: 0x18f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d872b6d28e428a
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\TEMP\inv44BF_tmp\Executables\UsbUpdate.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\TEMP\inv44BF_tmp\Executables\UsbUpdate.exe
Report Id: ee6b6c8f-8b50-4864-ae3a-e2afc2a67e65
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

June 1st, 2022 10:00

Same issue here. Problems for me started on the 29th (29/05/2022).

• XPS 8930
  • Windows 10 (21H1)
  • Only Dell Update (4.5.23.0) installed

I get 4 errors for UsbUpdate.exe on boot. All referring to some non-existing location at C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\inv4557_tmp\Executables\UsbUpdate.exe. The inv4557_tmp is different each time the batch of errors hits.

I've now disabled the DellClientManagementService service to see if that helps. At least to get rid of the errors for now. I've noticed that Dell Update needs this to run.

I can confirm that when I let Dell Update run and it scans devices and updates I get another batch of errors. Every time in 4 at a time.

June 1st, 2022 11:00

Forgot to mention. The only noteworthy update on my system was on the 26th, the Microsoft App Installer (via Microsoft Store) but I doubt this has anything to do with it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

June 1st, 2022 12:00

Calm down... If your system is working ok, just ignore the errors. 

It sounds like setting the Startup type to Disabled for Dell SupportAssist and Dell SupportAssist Remediation Service in services.msc will stop these errors.  So there's really no need to make any registry changes, which you'd have to undo if you want SupportAssist and Dell Update to work after the bug gets fixed. Disabling and then re-enabling them in services.msc is also a lot safer than editing the registry, and you edit the registry entirely at your own risk.

Dell is fully aware of this issue, but I haven't seen anyone post the results from testing a wired USB mouse in all front and rear ports on their PC as  @DELL-Chris M requested on page 6 of this thread.  Dell's L3 engineering team wants these test results from various PC models as part of their efforts to understand and fix the issue. So the sooner you help, the sooner...

11 Posts

June 1st, 2022 12:00

I've spent several hours on the phone with dell support yesterday and today, here's what I found...

UsbUpdate.exe appears to be a module called by both dell update and dell support assist's 'get driver updates'. usbupdate.exe has zero to do with usb devices or ports, though much of yesterday and today's interaction with support was trying to make that point. That module is part of a license validation package from "Entrust extended validation code signing - CA-EVCS2". and is digitally signed by Dell on 5/17/2022. Not sure why this began on 5/27....

It's fairly easy to recreate... If support assist is un-installed/re-installed the first use of support assist 'get drivers' WILL fail. The failure will likely also fail with support assist's 'get drivers'.first use following a power on boot or a system restart.

Dell assures me that support assist is working fine and dandy, and based on their response, I don't think they're going to fix this, in spite of showing the 80+ recreations just today. I may just remove dell update and support assist since I don't have much hair left to pull out.

June 1st, 2022 13:00

Haha, I already expected it had something to do with an expired certificate of some sorts. But it would be a shame if they didn't fix it.. Can't they just update this module through lets say, their own update tools (dell update or supportassist)?

Otherwise I'm forced to uninstall since those false positives are already driving me bonkers. I was suspecting one of my external drives failing at first. As you said, I like to keep the hair I've left

@RoHeI have multiple devices connected to my usb ports, and I'm not really in the mood to pull them all out for what seems to me like a strange thing to test. Why a mouse? And doesn't Dell have their own systems to test on? As this clearly isn't an isolated case and has 100% to do with their own software.

32 Posts

June 1st, 2022 15:00

That about sums it up.  Dell, please re-certify and have the driver signed again, or fix whatever caused this.  It's not us, really.  Thanks.

11 Posts

June 1st, 2022 15:00

I respectfully decline the request to plug a wired mouse into every USB port on two machines. I do understand the desire to rule out any possible source (in this case -- hardware failures) for these errors. However, I consider hardware failures an extremely unlikely possibility.in this case. What are the odds of every contributor to this thread with multiple machines (and there are many) seeing this issue just happening to have hardware failures on all of their machines at the same time and of such a similar nature that the exact same error is generated on each one of them. The 80 to 1 Kentucky Derby winner had far better odds than that. For now I've just uninstalled both Update and Support Assist on both machines and will wait for a resolution coming from Dell. I'm comfortable with monitoring the support pages for updates for now but hope the convenience of using Update and Support Assist return. Good luck to all!

13 Posts

June 1st, 2022 20:00

• Yeah, I've spent most of my time writing scripts to tear this stuff out. The nag screens annoy and confuse users and try to turn them into IT helpers, insisting on change when no issues exist, instead of letting us control those notifications, or do anything meaningful to configure the apps it's just a free-for-all. Rip out Optimizer, SupportAssist, Digital Delivery, and all of the others. It's only a matter of time before there is an impact from the mishaps in the future. RMM is admin-facing for a reason. 

1 Message

June 2nd, 2022 00:00

Very well said.

I have carried out a full diagnostic scan of my hardware using Dell provided tool for this and no problems where reported. (If it is a some kind of hardware problem then failure to report the problem is a problem.)

Along with the above I turned of BIOS POST boot optimizations to ensure all processing during booting as done in full.

My major concern is that my machine has started failing with the Blue Screen and I would like to have this UsbUpdate issue fixed so I can eliminate it as a potential cause.

I've used the Intel Driver & Support Assistants and this reported the Graphics Driver and Intel Killer (wireless) need upgraded. The later is also failing with an error about not finding an expected device, this may be unrelated to the UsbUpdate issue.

By computer is:

Dell Inc. XPS 15 9570

BIOS 1.24.0  
MOTHERBOARD 0D0T05 A00
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft Windows 11 Pro (64-bit) 21H2 (10.0.22000)

Can we have the UsbUpdate problem fixed ASAP. 

1 Message

June 2nd, 2022 01:00

FWIW, seeing the same crashes of ...\Executables\UsbUpdate.exe daily, on a newly aquired Inspiron 5502 with a fresh install of Win11 Home and running SupportAssist.

June 2nd, 2022 03:00

I reported the same fault to Dell who suggested a motherboard replacement was required and dispatched an engineer. Both of us thought it was not a motherboard issue and checked out USB drivers etc to search for a solution. The motherboard was not replaced and the engineer reported back to Dell the fact that other users in this community had experienced the same fault. So Dell should be well aware of this issue by now and we await a fix.

June 2nd, 2022 06:00

Same issue with a fresh Precision 7560 running Windows 11.

13 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 07:00

It turns out they guess most of the time... Inert event log with no impact to on-site MOBO replacement. A+ troubleshooting. 

June 2nd, 2022 09:00

I know the thread seems to have moved beyond suggesting that this is malware at this point, but I thought I'd add a little more supporting evidence in case anyone is still considering that a possibility.  For what it's worth, I can confirm that the file usbupdate.exe is signed by dell and is being created by the dell update service.  (Specifically "c:\program files (x86)\dell\updateservice\service\invcolpc.exe" creates a temp directory with many dell update related files, including "C:\Windows\Temp\inv2D87_tmp\Executables\USBUpdate.exe")

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2022 09:00

I’m been following this thread since the first report appeared.

I’m having the same issue with my Laptop, Dell G3 3590, Windows 10, Version: 21H2.

It started on May 28.

The inusual error is still pop up until today, but no Blue Screen or other type of errors when I work or playing video games.

From the beginning I thought was a virus and also thought my USB will stop working, after reading a the comments only I can say, in my case, is kind of annoying. Because you expect that something goes wrong with this unusual error.

I expect, as many of you, a well fix of this bug for Windows 10 and Windows 11 users.

No Events found!