Unsolved

N

3 Posts

August 10th, 2022 11:00

Inspiron 5400 AIO Infinite Booting Problem

Inspiron 5400 AIO

Inspiron 5400 AIO

Hello,

Yesterday I was updating my drivers through third party apps. Looking back, should not have done that and should have used the official intel one. However, I do not believe the third party app to be malware, as I used it before and it worked fine. During that moment, I was also re-downloading SupportAssist (because for some reason, it deleted by itself). I left the computer for a couple hours alone and came back to this screen:

4FEF9123-DE9C-4113-9177-F373A5E836C3.jpeg  

And now, the computer repeatedly boots into this page.

I have tried everything. Primarily, I see that that you’re supposed to change boot option’s to ‘legacy’ instead of UEFI in the bios. However, I don’t have this option.

4873A4F9-A4CB-4D81-849A-752D18E6243E.jpeg

Also, I have done the diagnostic test on my hardware. I did the thorough diagnostic test with every single one of my hardware pieces, not single error came up (it took 360 minutes). I checked my software in the SupprortAssist recovery area in the bios, it came out that there is not a problem (however, I doubt that). When I did a ‘repair system’  check, it supposedly fixed everything. But I still go back into that green screen. 

Of course, I followed tutorials on YouTube outlining what to do in the ‘Automatic Repair’ section by Microsoft. But it is futile.

One time when I was doing the diagnostic test (I did it multiple times), it showed the error ‘no boot device found.’ I am pretty sure that is the core issue with my problem. Despite knowing this, all fixes I found online were not available on my computer. Certain options to change the way someone boots is not available for me. 

At this point, I don’t know what to do. Of course, I can completely reset everything. But I wan’t to avoid that as best as possible. Any help?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 10th, 2022 12:00

You appear to be using an Insider Build of Windows, so there are potential issues with whatever drivers you updated. And SupportAssist may have issues with an Insider Build too.

New PCs like your Inspiron 5400 AIO, with 11th Gen CPUs and later, don't offer Legacy boot options. 

Was one of the updates you installed a BIOS update? Open BIOS setup and see if BIOS is set to RAID or AHCI, but don't change it, at least not right now...

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

You could try using a boot repair tool...

Macrium Reflect (free) will let you create a bootable USB stick. You can do this on any PC. When it's ready, plug the stick into this PC with power completely off. Then power on and tap F12 when you see the Dell splash screen. When the F12 menu opens, look for the option to boot from USB. 

When Macrium loads, look for the boot repair options.

No promises...

3 Posts

Thank you for reply

The only option is AHCI for me.

The drivers updates were not pertaining to the BIOS. The drivers updated were very minor. The official Intel driver update software did not catch these updates, or choose to ignore them.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

You could try using a boot repair tool.

Macrium Reflect (free) will let you create a bootable USB stick. You can do this on any PC. When it's ready, plug the stick into this PC with power completely off. Then power on and tap F12 when you see the Dell splash screen.

When the F12 menu opens, look for option to boot from USB.  When Macrium loads, look for the boot repair options.

3 Posts

August 10th, 2022 14:00

Thank you, I will try this.

One thing before I try: will any of my data disappear? I can tolerate the disappearance of apps, but not files (since I got some pretty important stuff there). 

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 10th, 2022 16:00

Fixing your Windows boot issues using Macrium shouldn't affect your personal data.

Are your personal files all on the boot drive (C:), or do you have an SSD as boot drive (C:) and a HDD (D drive) for data storage?  And if you have both drives, are all your personal files on the HDD (depends on how you configured Window)?

IIRC, when you boot the PC using the Macrium USB stick, you should be able to create a backup image of the C: drive, which is the drive you're going to fix.  Save the backup image on an external USB HDD, and select the option to validate the image immediately after it's created.

Once that's done, you can use Macrium on the USB stick to attempt a boot repair. NOTE: If Macrium is unable to fix the problem, and you've imaged the drive, you can clean install Windows on the boot drive.

After the PC boots from the C: again, you can "mount" the Macrium image that's on the external USB drive as a drive which will allow you to see/copy personal files back onto C:. You can't just copy your files in the image on the external USB drive onto the C:. You have to mount the image file as a drive to make it usable.

No Events found!